three

Gryffindor? No the hat was lying. Seldom got up off of the wobbly stool and walked down to the Gryffindor table. She had imagined that when she was walking to her house table that people would be screaming and yelling for her.

But as she walked down the only clap was from Dumbledore. Her brother looked at her in astonishment. She looked at him in astonishment.

She finally sat at the table and once again, for what felt like the millionth time today, got sucked into her thoughts.

Seldom thought all about what her parents would think of her. Her father would disown her, and her mother? Well she might be alright there. How would her grandparents react? They were never very lovely people and well, to be honest Seldom was afraid of them.

 There weren't many people left now. "Moon" "Nott" "Parkinson" then a pair of twin girls, "Patil" and "Patil" then "Perks, Sally-Anne" and then, at last,

"Potter, Harry!"

As Harry stepped forward, whispers suddenly broke out like little hissing fires all over the hall. 

"Potter, did she say?"

  "The Harry Potter?"

Seldom brought herself out of her thoughts to watch her new friend get sorted. She wasn't very phased by the fact that he was famous. Her parents were well known and she was used by many people growing up, she imagined the boy was feeling overwhelmed and wanted to be just his friend.

"no? Well, if you're sure -- better be GRYFFINDOR!"

Seldom heard the hat shout the last word to the whole hall. Harry took off the hat and walked shakily toward the Gryffindor table. Seldom noticed that he was getting the loudest cheer yet.

Percy the Prefect got up and shook his hand vigorously, while the Weasley twins yelled, "We got Potter! We got Potter!"

And now there were only three people left to be sorted. "Thomas, Dean," a Black boy even taller than Ron, joined them at the Gryffindor table. "Turpin, Lisa," became a Ravenclaw and then it was the red haired boy who she now learnt was named Ron's turn. He was pale green by now. Seldom and Harry crossed their fingers under the table and a second later the hat had shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!"

She clapped loudly with the rest as Ron collapsed into the chair next to her.

"Well done, Ron, excellent," said Percy Weasley Pompously across her as "Zabini, Blaise," was made a Slytherin. Professor McGonagall rolled up her scroll and took the Sorting Hat away.

Seldom then looked down at her plate, she realised how starving she was. The girl hadn't eaten since breakfast.

Then Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there.

"Welcome," he said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!"

He sat back down. Everybody clapped and cheered. Seldom didn't know whether he was joking or a lunatic.

"Is he -- a bit mad?" She hears Harry ask Percy uncertainty.

"Mad?" said Percy airily. "He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes. Potatoes, Harry?"

That was when Seldom looked at the table to see an arrangement of food all out in front of her. The last time she saw this much food was when her grandparents had come to town one Christmas.