four

"There, look."

  "Where?"

  "Next to the tall kid with the red hair."

  "Wearing the glasses?"

  "Have you seen her brother?"

  "Did you see his scar?"

Whispers followed Ron, Harry and Seldom everywhere they went. Many people were particularly interested in Harry and Seldom. Harry as he escaped you know who, and Seldom because of her house.

Seldom hadn't spoken with her parents since she got here. She was waiting for a good time to tell them about being placed into Gryffindor, but she assumed her brother might have already done it.

As the three children made their way to their class they often got lost. You see there were a hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones; some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump. Then there were doors that wouldn't open unless you asked politely, or tickled them in exactly the right place, and doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending. It was also very hard to remember where anything was, because it all seemed to move around a lot. The people in the portraits kept going to visit each other, and Seldom was sure the coats of armor could walk.

The ghosts didn't help, either. It was always a nasty shock when one of them gilded suddenly through a door you were trying to open. Nearly Headless Nick was always happy to point new Gryffindors in the right direction, but Peeves the Poltergeist was worth two locked doors and a trick staircase if you met him when you were late for class. He would drop wastepaper baskets on your head, pull rugs from under your feet, pelt you with bits of chalk, or sneak up behind you, invisible, grab your nose, and screech, "GOT YOUR CONK!"

Even worse than Peeves, if that was possible, was the caretaker, Argus Filch. Harry and Ron managed to get on the wrong side of him on their very first morning. Filch found them trying to force their way through a door that unluckily turned out to be the entrance to the out-of-bounds corridor on the third floor. He wouldn't believe they were lost, was sure they were trying to break into it on purpose, and was threatening to lock them in the dungeons when they were rescued by Professor Quirrell, who was passing. Seldom laughed when they told her the story that night.

Filch owned a cat called Mrs. Norris, a scrawny, dust-colored creature with bulging, lamp-like eyes just like Filch's. She patrolled the corridors alone. Break a rule in front of her, put just one toe out of line, and she'd whisk off for Filch, who'd appear, wheezing, two seconds later. Filch knew the secret passageways of the school better than anyone (except perhaps the Weasley twins) and could pop up as suddenly as any of the ghosts. The students all hated him, and it was the dearest ambition of many to give Mrs. Norris a good kick.

Once you got to the classes, Seldom realised how much magic she really knew for her age. She used to read her brother's school books and by now had mastered all the work the first year was given.

The easiest class was transfiguration as Professor McGonogal loves Seldom. But the worst had to be potions with Snape. The greasy haired teacher had formed a disliking for Seldom as he called her a "know it all".

She hadn't spoken to her brother since she left for the train and she didn't think he wanted her. Whenever they passed each other in the halls he would glare at her and walk away. To be honest Seldom was starting to form a hatred for her brother.

But throughout all of the glares and whispers, Seldom was excited to have her first Defence Against the Dark Arts class today.

Seldom hadn't learned much about the subject at home and wanted to know more. Her father was very into the dark arts.

But sadly, Quirells clases turned out to be a joke. His classroom smelled strongly of garlic, which everyone said was to ward off a vampire he'd met in Romania and was afraid would be coming back to get him one of these days. His turban, he told them, had been given to him by an African prince as a thank-you for getting rid of a troublesome zombie, but they weren't sure they believed this story. For one thing, when Seamus Finnigan asked eagerly to hear how Quirrell had fought off the zombie, Quirrell went pink and started talking about the weather; for another, they had noticed that a funny smell hung around the turban, and the Weasley twins insisted that it was stuffed full of garlic as well, so that Quirrell was protected wherever he went.

Friday was a good day for the three friends. They had all managed to get to the great hall without getting lost once.

"What have we got today?" Harry asked as he poured sugar on his porridge.

"Double Potions with the Slytherins," said Ron. "Snape's Head of Slytherin House. My brother said he always favors them. I guess we can test that theory." Seldom added.

"Wish McGonagall favored us, " said Harry. Professor McGonagall was head of Gryffindor House, but it hadn't stopped her from giving them a huge pile of homework the day before.

Just then the male arrived. Seldom loved seeing all the birds swoop down and deliver packages. She had gotten used to not seeing her brid come over to her but today, a big brown barn owl dropped off two packages to the girl.

Seldom looked at the boxes. One was written to her, and one to her brother. She first opened her box to see a small note from her mother.

Dear Sweet Seldom,

You need to remember that I love you and that I will never care about what house you are placed into. Your father is furious and for that I suggest you don't come home during Christmas.

Love Mother<3

The box itself had a few things of chocolate, and Seldoms childhood stuffed animal. It was a purple dog.

After looking at the contents of her package, Seldom remembered that she needed to give Jeremiah his package. She stood up and walked down to the Slytherin table. Her brother and his friends stopped talking as she came over.

"Mum sent you this." She said, her voice small. Seldom hadn't spoken to her brother since she arrived. He grabbed the package and his first words were,

"I had no clue you were gonna turn out to be a filthy blood traitor, but stay away from me."

His friends started to laugh at the girl's shocked face. So Seldom did the one thing she knew.

She grabbed Jeremiah's shirt and punched him, square in the nose.

Everyone around them then stopped to look at the 13 year old who was clutching his nose in pain. Seldom was breathing heavily. She then just laughed.

"You once said, and I quote, If anyone gives you any shit. Punch them in the nose. Have fun with Madam Pomfrey." As she was walking back to the Gryffindor Seldom could hear Fred and George yelling.

"I didn't see that coming." Said Ron when she came back.

"Well Ronald, gotta learn to expect the unexpected." She winked at the two boys and walked back to her dorm.  

So this chapter is short but, vote!