Ch. 21

"So what's going on with Chicago? When do you want to go?" Nini asks Ricky as they cuddle in her bed later that night.

Neither of them will admit it, but Ricky has basically all but moved in at this point. He spends every night at Nini's and really only goes home to change. Ricky looks down at her and shrugs. "I'm not really sure. I guess I could call my dad tomorrow and see when the best time to visit would be. My mom tends to go out of town a lot for work so it would have to be a weekend when she's home." Nini nods in understanding, and then sits up on her bed, facing him.

"You know, the more that I think about it, the more excited I become." She told him excitedly. M

Ricky quirks an eyebrow. "Is that so? Because last time I checked you had a mini panic attack."

Nini rolls her eyes and shoved him lightly.

"I was never worried about meeting your parents, you doof. I was worried about how you'd feel about mine!"

His face softens at her confession and he pulls her onto his lap.

"I already told you that I love your moms."

She nods. "I know, Ricky. They love you too."

He smirks. "Who wouldn't?!"

This lands him a punch in the shoulder. "Honestly though, do you think your parents will like me? What if they don't like my job?! I mean... you're this high-powered music producer and I manage a music store! What if that's not good enough for-" he interrupts her nervous ramble. "Neens, I promise you have nothing to worry about. And even if for some reason they didn't like you... it wouldn't matter because I love you and that's all we need." He tells her, gently swaying them side to side.

"No, you're absolutely right. It's all good."

*****

The next day Ricky called his dad on his way home from work.

"Hey bud, how's it going?!" Mike exclaimed through the phone.

"Hey, Dad! Things are good. Just finished working so I'm heading back home. I think I might stop and get some takeout for me and Nini, though." Ricky told him. "I talked to mom a couple of weeks ago and she told me that she wanted me to come see you guys. I'm bringing Nini, too. Just wanted to call to see when the best time to come home would be?" Ricky told Mike after a few minutes of nonchalant conversation.

Mike went silent on the other end of the line, which Ricky thought was weird.

He furrowed his eyebrows together. "Dad?" Ricky asked, and Mike cleared his throat. "Yeah, um... sorry bud. Your mom is out of town this weekend but she'll be home the weekend after that before she leaves again. There's something we actually wanna talk to you about." Mike told his son, hesitantly.

"Okay... well, I have to check with Nini to make sure she can get work off but it shouldn't be a big deal. I'll call you guys when we finalize the details. Tell mom I said hi and that I love her, okay?" Ricky said. Mike acknowledged his request and then hung up, causing Ricky to stare blankly at his phone. That was weird.

Ricky found himself tiredly knocking on his girlfriends door a few minutes later. She opened the door a couple seconds later, grinning when she saw her boyfriend with a bag of their favorite Chinese takeout.

"Hey, handsome. How was work?" She asked as they settled down at the table to eat.

Ricky shrugged. "It was okay. I finished a song I was producing. I don't know why, but I just feel so tired today." He told her as he grabbed her hand across the table. She nodded and gave him a small smile. "Want me to give you a back massage after dinner? You look a little tense." Nini said, and Ricky nodded.