Ch. 22

Nini ran outside and stood in the brisk, winter air.

Ricky kept telling her all day to not mind Lynne- that she could be judgmental, but never in a million years did Nini think she would stoop to that level.

She couldn't even begin to fathom how someone could talk so rudely about people they've never met. She held back her tears as she thought back on Lynne's remarks and shook her head in disgust.

"Neens" she heard his soft voice behind her. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply before she whirled around and faced her boyfriend.

"Why would she say that to me?! Why would she say something so rude about people she doesn't even know?! Huh, Ricky?" She said angrily.

She wasn't angry towards Ricky, but all her anger was coming out and unfortunately for him, he was in the line of fire. He slowly walked up to her and reached out to cup her cheeks. "I am so so sorry, Nini. I never would have thought that she would say something like that. Ever. And I promise, I'm gonna talk to her about her behavior. I really don't know what's going on with her because she's never been that rude towards anybody." Ricky told her.

Nini shook her head and looked down. "I don't care if she doesn't like me because I know you do... but talking about my moms like that was low. And it's people like her that are the reason I don't tell people I have two moms." She said sadly as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"For what it's worth, I think it's amazing that you have two moms. It makes you different. I-" Ricky said when he was interrupted by the sound of someone running towards them.

"Ricky, Nini. There you guys are."

The couple turned around and came face to face with Mike Bowen. Ricky stepped up and spoke before Mike or Nini could say anything.

"What the hell was that in there, Dad? Who in the hell does she think she is speaking to Nini like that?" Ricky said angrily.

"Look son, there's something I need to talk to you about. I've already settled the bill so why don't we head home?" Mike asked, ignoring Ricky's question.

Ricky sighed before looking towards Nini to see if she was okay with those plans. She sighed and nodded, sensing that whatever Mike had to talk about probably wasn't going to be good, and while her night wasn't going all that great, it didn't mean that she couldn't be there for the love of her life.

"We'll meet you there. Tomorrow. I don't want to look at mom right now. Let alone speak to her. I think we're just gonna head back to the hotel." Ricky said.

Mike nodded in understanding and the pair gave him a small hug before walking away hand in hand back to their hotel.

******

The walk back to the hotel was filled with silence, but Ricky would plant a kiss on Nini's head every now and then to let her know that he was there if she wanted to talk.

They walked into their room about twenty minutes later and Nini slowly sat on the bed, looking up at Ricky.

"How am I supposed to face her tomorrow? How am I supposed to show my face in front of your mom if she can't accept me?" She asked as her tears finally began to fall.

Seeing his girlfriend cry on behalf of his mom broke his heart. He sat next to her and pulled her onto his lap.

"You don't have to go if you don't want. And I don't have to go either. My dad can just tell me whatever he needs to over the phone. And honestly, after tonight, I'd be completely fine not speaking to my mom. We've sort of been distant anyways." He said softly, running his fingers through Nini's hair.