Two

A week later the day came that Mary turned sixteen. She didn’t enjoy her birthday of course, she never did but this time it wasn’t just because it was a reminder of how long she’s been living this terrible life. No, this time it was because she knew what was waiting for her. Him.

“Mary you ready?” Her father asked leaning against the doorpost with his hands in his pockets.

Nate hasn’t taken a bath in about a month, he reeked. He didn’t care much because that was how everyone was. They didn’t care much for their hygiene. They were lucky if they bathed twice a month. But Mary would have to change her habits regarding that, seeing as she was to enter a life of luxuary and wealth.

Mary didn’t answer her father. Instead she stood in the kitchen, taking in the four walls. Just a month ago she wished to leave this hellhole but now she was having doubts. She never knew any other home except this place. She always feared the unknown. There was a pit in her stomach which made her feel cold. It was as if Mary was on autopilot. She had to force herself to do the basics, like eating, dressing and sleeping. Her brain refused to shut off last night, now she stood there sleep deprived.

“Mary, answer me,” Nate forced out on his teeth.

Mary slowly turned her head to face her father. Dread filled her and longing. She already missed her father even though he treated her like garbage but she understood why. She blamed herself for her mother’s death as well sometimes, which was the cause of her insomnia. Mary still saw Nate as the father he once was. The father that protected her from the cruel world, and although he never sent her to an educational center, he taught her life lessons that she'd never learn in school. She still saw the man that always laughed and told jokes.

Unlike Nate, Mary bathed last night. Her father walked over to their lake and heated the water over a fire for her. It was the little things like that that made Mary believe that the old Nate was still there. She was groomed head to toe for Mark. Not a hair out of place or a spec of dirt on her skin, and her corset tied tight to showcase her beautiful waist.

“Yes, Daddy,” she whispered but screamed internally.

“Alright, let’s go.” Her father said, fidgeting with his fingers, struggling to hide his pain. He was losing his daughter and he only realised now how much he truly loved her. It’s for the best. He tried to convince himself, it worked somewhat.

Mark sent out one of his horses with a coach to fetch Mary. She never set foot off of her farm, so she never travelled anywhere. Mary was nervous and excited at the same time. Excited because she’s never ridden a horse before, and nervous because she didn’t know if the next chapter in her life was going to be worse.

Her father whistled for one of Mark’s slaves to take her luggage, and with a nod Mary was off. She took one look at the young African-American man and saw the sorrow in his eyes. She was always against slavery, she never got the point of it. Why can’t we do these things ourselves? Or why can’t we at least pay them and treat them like human beings? She always asked her father. Because they aren’t people! Look at them! They are the Devil’s spawn! Her father always yelled back.

The gentleman gave Mary a smile while bending over to take one of the bags. This infuriated Nate. He clenched his jaw muscles and  then his fists and lunged for the man, grabbing him by the collar of his tan shirt.

“Don’t you fucking dare look at her, you disgusting piece of shit! You hear me! You disgusting vile creature,” he spat the last words. He lifted his fist and punched the man in the face countless times. “You disgusting pervert!” He yelled out on the top of his lungs, connecting his bloodied fist again to the man’s jaw.