|C H A P T E R O N E|

"Wake up, Ruby! There's been an accident near the highway

"Wake up, Ruby! There's been an accident near the highway. The ambulance will be arriving in 10 minutes," my colleague, Michael, said as he shook me hard to wake me up.

What a way to start my morning; a disturbed sleep after a 12-hour shift was not what I needed.

I quickly get up and grab my stethoscope and put it around my neck while grabbing my coat and rushing to the door.

I dashed down the hallway to the emergency department prepping the necessary equipment before the ambulance arrived.

I looked around trying to find Michael and saw him grabbing a bunch of surgical gloves on the tray and went to help him while grabbing some needles and syringes on stand.

I feel like I am missing something due to the quiet environment because usually there would be a bunch of residents around asking us multiple questions. That is when I remembered that our medical residents weren't here yet.

"Yo Michael! Where are the medical residents?"

"Erm...I've been paging them for the past 30 minutes, but they are yet to show up."

"Damn it! There is going to be chaos in five minutes, and they aren't responding to your page?!"

"Seems like someone here is going to explode," Michael laughed as he donned his gloves.

"That's not funny. Because the last time I checked, if they are going to be late again, I am going to make sure they are never allowed to take any special cases."

Just then loud footsteps could be heard from a distance as I turn to see all of them running down the hall as if they were running for a marathon.

Michael shakes his head and says, "Speaking of the little devils."

"Sorry Dr. Michael and Dr. Ruby, we overslept!" Everyone shouted as they stood in front of us, trying to catch their breaths.

I eyed them from top to bottom and said, "Didn't you all leave early yesterday? Should I assume you all slept late because you all went out to party?"