Chapter Two

The Capitol of Redford was a marvel of Reform engineering. The walls were high, and made from the toughest material, and the tower that stood over everything was a magnificent sight in itself. It was surrounded by random ramshackle homes and stores, all somehow aligned to make streets and alleys. As the nighttime wore off of the surrounding land, a light shone through the window of a certain two-story building. It crept its way along the old wood floor, over a pair of black, worn boots, and up onto the bed on which Jason was sleeping.  

Jason woke as soon as the brightness hit his eyes. His arm ached, but not as much as the night before. He had not taken the time to remove the bullet, which could be a mistake if he did not remove it soon. Jason reached for the knife under his cold pillow, and found it missing. Jason became worried. Next he looked at his arm, and expected to see bleeding, but instead he found it perfectly dressed and protected. He felt the area, causing pain to course through him, but he did not feel any hard metal. The bullet had been removed in his deep slumber. How had he not been more alert? 

"Good morning, brother!" The cheery voice soon made him realize what had happened.  

"Come here, will you?" Jason urged himself out of bed, and saw his blade sitting on the table nearby.  

"What is it?" She stood in the doorway, looking the same as when he had left her. She was fifteen, just a few years younger than Jason, at nineteen. Her brown hair descended just past her shoulders, and she kept it in a ponytail to keep it organized. She was quite attractive, which was why Jason tried to protect her at all costs. Yet she still tried sometimes, and she was beginning to learn. His sister was an expert in first aid.  

"Melody, please let me know when you are going to perform any operations, okay? And you moved my equipment again." She seemed embarrassed.  

"It's not my fault you came home with a bullet in your arm!" She exclaimed, somewhat jokingly, "And you lost so much blood it's amazing you didn't suffer anything other than memory loss."  

"Well then thank you. Now, did you touch the camera too?" 

"No, you said that was mission-critical. I'm smarter than that. Now," she smiled a bit, "What do you want for your meal?" 

"Just give me some food, bread will do. I need to get back to work." Jason slowly walked to the table that held his items. Everything seemed to be here, so he began organizing the materials. 

"Never hungry are you? That will change one day, you know." She walked back downstairs.  

Jason was too busy checking his equipment, however, to notice. The items he usually carried were as follows: The knife, six inches long, which was stored on his belt on the left; His nine millimeter handgun, single action, which was carried in a holster on the inside of the coat he wore, or the right side of his belt; his coat and belt themselves, which he wore off the job; and the box, which held... 

My headset. Jason put this on first. He loved the device, even if it didn't work. He did hear a ringing sometimes, but it only happened when he was in danger. He wasn't in danger now, was he?  

No ringing. Next Jason put on his coat and belt, then strapped his knife and gun holsters into place. Next the knife, and the gun... It felt light. Jason ejected the magazine, and it was empty. He couldn't believe that he had forgotten to buy more ammunition. He returned the magazine to its place, and strapped the gun in anyways. It could prove useful.  

Jason walked downstairs, and Melody was already in the 'kitchen'. Nothing more than a name, since it was part of the main room. "Hey, can you make sure to stop by Dragger's and pick up some ammunition? I'll leave the Debts on the table." He tossed some small rectangular-shaped onto the table next to her. These were Debts, small pieces made of a rare metal supposedly acquired after the Events. It was rumored that they were originally used by... Jason couldn't remember. But they were now used as currency, so that's what he used. "Just do what I told you. You'll be ok."