Chapter Seventeen

It was a sudden blast of color that surprised Jason, such a quick burst among the old shops that made him stop and stare. It was here, surrounded by gray cloth and wood shacks, that this one store sat, quietly, with its amazing colors and vibrant fabrics and toys, knick-knacks and jewelry. Jason was caught up so much in this world of happy scenery that he ignored the ringing in his ears. It wasn't until he realized it was his headset that he spun around, and crashed into an older man who was hobbling along. 

"Terribly sorry." Jason was still sidetracked by the stand behind him. Such amazing beauty shouldn't belong in this place. 

As if his thoughts were being read, the old man replied to him. "Such splendor is hard to come by, yes?" 

"Yes, it is. Why is this here?" 

"You are part of the Order, yes? Don't you know?" 

"No, I don't. But I wish I did." 

"Such a shame. I would tell you a story, but not here. Follow me, boy." The man strode off, not caring to look behind him. Jason struggled to keep up. 

"Why can we not speak? The streets are safe." 

"Not as safe as you believe. Not everyone is as outspoken as those you fight." That made the whole crowd around them feel like an enemy, and Jason shuddered, but steeled his resolve. 

"Then shouldn't we fight against them as well?" 

"No, it is good to feed false information to the enemy. I would think that you knew that." 

"I know it is better for them to know nothing at all, preferably." 

"Not so. If we did that, there would just be more people that we do not know. I can point out every enemy in this crowd, but if you killed them, I would not be able to do so." The old man made his way into a stone building, resembling a church in structure. 

"I can agree with that. What is this place?" Jason looked around, taking note of all the people taking shelter in the 'church'. 

"Welcome, child, to the Church of Revelations." He held his hands outstretched above him, and everyone stood, bowing their heads towards the stand in the center of the room. "You are in a holy presence." 

"Then you are...?" Jason felt out of place, for he had never had the time for a religion. But he knew of the Church. 

"My name is Kieran, and I am the... I guess you would call me a 'pastor', or 'priest'." 

"Kieran, why have you brought me here?" Jason was bewildered that such a religious group would take an interest in him, or the Order. 

"There was a time when Victor was necessary for our land, and our people. But God has forsaken him, and his rule, for they have become corrupt and cruel. He has chosen you, and your people, to lead us forward into a new age." Kieran seemed very prophetic. 

"He chose us? Why?" 

"Let me start from the beginning. I speak of the holy book of the bible. Many times was it said that the end would arrive, and many would perish. That has come to pass. Now we await the arrival of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the salvation he brings us. But while we wait, we must survive!" Kieran stepped onto the stand in the center of the room, and the people who had bowed their heads surrounded him now, some standing, some kneeling before the stand, all listening intently to what he had to say. "I remember when Victor was a smart young lad. He raised an army up to defend us from bandits and thieves!" Those closest to him cheered. "He saved us from death and destruction!" There was a collective 'Hurrah!' from those standing. "But now, he brings that same death back upon us, in his quest for ultimate peace. He has become delusional! And he must be removed from power." Everyone nodded in agreement. "You have seen it, haven't you? In the streets, there is sadness and poverty. Outside, there is sickness and death everywhere. Promises made are no longer kept, protection has turned to hounding and violence to our own people! Those in charge are harming us!" Once again, everyone nodded in agreement. Jason could agree with him on that note. "So you see now? That stand out there, with its glory and color, is the only piece of happiness in this whole city. Children stand in front of it all day, marveling at it just like you did. That represents the only shred of good left untouched by Victor and his men. The Order has vowed to defend that good until the end, and now that you have the city, we will help defend it with you." 

"I am... astounded. But what can you provide us with?" 

"Soldiers? Weapons? How about a secret passage into Redford?" The latter of the three caught Jason's attention.  

"Say that again?" 

"A tunnel, close to the city, that you can get into undetected. Does that clarify?" 

"I think that makes a big difference. How soon can we get to it?" 

"Anytime you want to! That's the best part." 

"Good. Now I know what to do." Jason turned to the door. "I will have to speak with the men in charge." 

"Funny part is, I am the man in charge." Kieran smiled, a big toothy grin. "Welcome to the Order boy, and the Church."