14

───── ❝ A School Trip❞ ─────

Cassandra Mckinnon found herself walking down to breakfast on a freezing Thursday morning with the need to sleep still wracking her body. In short, she was exhausted. Sleep just decided not to pay her a visit the night previous, no matter how much she tossed and turned. At breakfast, she sipped on coffee, despite the turning in her stomach that came with it. Quite frankly if she was to get through the day, she would need all the caffeine she could get. She was bought out of a sleepy daze by tapping on her shoulder. She turned and smiled at her, hoping that she wouldn't be able to see the bags under her eyes through all the concealer. "Are you excited about the trip today? I can't believe we get to travel to France!" She smiled, showing too much enthusiasm given how early it was.

Cass yawned, covering her mouth with the back of her hand, "I'm just happy to get out of lessons for the day."

Hermione frowned, "So you're not excited to see the creature?"

"I mean it's a Wood Nymph, what's so exciting?"

"Just a Wood Nymph? Honestly Cass," she laughed. "They're not native here, we have to travel to see them don't you think they're kind of special?"

"I mean I guess," she agreed, just hoping not to annoy her any further.

As Cass sighed, the food which she had not touched disappeared from the tables. They all headed straight down to the train station, awaiting instruction in huge groups on the platform. Considering that her year and the twins' year were all going on the trip, there was a rather loud group of people all crowded around McGonagall as they awaited instruction. "Everyone find a seat on the train, we leave in fifteen minutes!" McGonagall's regal voice silenced everyone. One after the other people flowed onto the train, being bumped by other students as they all tried to get onto the train. Cass just followed behind the group, feeling her eyelids droop with every step she took. A few times Harry had to take her shoulders and direct her in the right direction, that's how utterly exhausted she felt. But that tiredness left when she was about to step on the train and realised that Harry was no longer behind him. Instead, he stood a few paces away, looking at the express with disappointment furrowing his brow.

"Aren't you coming?" she asked, leaning out of the door slightly so she could hear him.

"No signature," he shrugged, acting as if he didn't really care.

Her smile turned to a frown, "Oh, can't Mcgonagall sign it? I mean surely she would under-"

"Nope I asked her, she said it wouldn't be appropriate," he replied, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "It's no problem though," he continued, noticing the sorry look on her face. "I'll just practise for Quidditch this weekend, I'll be fine." He smiled, hoping it would convince her.

She stepped off the train, walking towards him. At this point the track was almost empty, she just hoped everyone would be so distracted that they wouldn't notice them. "Are you sure? I can stay too," she offered.

Harry shook his head, "No, you go to France." She didn't want to leave him alone, he seemed upset and she hated that he had to miss out. "I promise you, I'll be fine."

She knew that he wouldn't relent so she came up with another plan, a light smirk playing on the corner of her lips. "Tell you what," she paused, adding to his intrigue. "Try and steal the map while we're gone. We can go out tonight," she smiled, the smile dropping once the train began to move.

He laughed softly, "Sounds better than seeing some Wood Nymph." She smiled at him and was about to say goodbye when someone grabbed her by the arm. They both ran for the train, caught up with it and jumped through the door once after the other. Cass, after steading herself, looked out of the door and waved a laughing Harry goodbye.