Chapter 7

Vincent

For as long as Vincent could remember, he was always told to wait.

Wait for his mother's return.

Wait for his sister to awaken.

Wait for his throne.

"Be patient, mio figlio. Patience will get you farther than any army ever would."

(My son)

The residing words of his father leave a scowl on the brooding man.

Bullshit.

It's all fucking bullshit.

No matter how patient he was, things just never seemed to work out for him.

His mother never came back. And he knew better than to hope that she was still alive somewhere after being captured.

His sister died in his arms.

And here he was, a grown man being told to wait for his throne. The throne he so rightfully deserved was currently being fulfilled by the person he hated most in the world, his father.

"Patience..."

Fuck that.

Vincent couldn't tell if it was the fact that his insomnia was acting up again or that Evelyn hasn't texted him back that his temper was worse than usual.

There was no logical reason the man could find as to why she wouldn't reply. Yes, he hadn't called or texted her for a while, but he apologized for that. He was a busy man and all those days without contacting her killed him. Vincent wishes he could've told her that - as that's the least she deserves - but he was not a very...expressive man.

He learned a long time ago that having no emotions was the easier way to go about life. No emotions means there's no possibility of getting hurt. Never again would he take that chance.

But, Evelyn just made him feel so...worthy. Worthy of love and kindness. And that, was something he hadn't felt since he was a young child.

And now, without his goddess by his side, he felt empty once again.

Well, he wasn't going to wait around anymore. Now that he had gotten a taste of the sweet girl, he wasn't planning on letting her go anytime soon.

"So, what do you think we should do about it, Vincent?" Luca asks, referring to the situation at hand.

Recently, multiple smaller gangs in the area have been rebelling against the rule of the Mafia. Although situations like this have happened before, it has never reached this large of a scale. They've killed plenty of workers, stolen millions worth of drugs, and spread rumors of Vincent's incompetence of becoming the next Don.

Of course, this infuriated him to no end, but his thoughts were currently focused on the small girl who couldn't seem to leave his mind.

"Luca, have you been keeping track of Evelyn?" Vincent replies, completely ignoring the question.

The words of his boss only irritate the exhausted man. "Listen, I get that you're worried about her and all...but we haven't slept in four days because of what's going on and if we just finish this up, I'm positive you'll be able to see her after."