Chapter 5

COLE

But I knew I couldn't just give in. I couldn't so easily just let her waltz back into my life when she shattered my heart, exactly when I needed her the most. I still miss my dad everyday, but knowing that she was out there somewhere and just didn't want me, it was..infuriating and saddening. I was angry at myself to let her just walk all over me!

So I kept quiet. And she didn't make an effort to talk either. 

We both just sat there, in our own thoughts, probably remembering our oldest memories together. 

Her phone violently buzzed against the wooden floor, pulling us both back from our trance. 

There was something different about this call though. She was visibly frowning and I knew that her attitude was on the way back. When she got off the phone, I could feel the anger fuming off of her. She was pissed, all right. 

"Is everything okay?" I tried reaching out, a bit worried now. I hardly knew this girl but I couldn't help it, I wanted to help figure out whatever was wrong.

"Yeah. Fine. We need to go."

"What? Why?" I was confused out of my mind right now. 

But she brushed me off, like always. I don't know why I even bothered.

"I'll drop you off back at school and you can hitch a ride back home from there."

And with that, we jogged back to the car, her almost throwing me back at school and rushing off into the sunset. And I just stood there for the next half an hour, trying to comprehend everything that happened today. I hung out with my childhood best friend after 10 long years. "Wow" was all I could say. 

Just because we had great memories together when we were five doesn't mean that I can just forget everything that happened after that. I honestly thought I saw a glimpse of her real self back at the pier but I guess not. At least not anymore.

So I tried my best to forget that this ever happened. I'm not letting her squeeze her way back into my life again. 

I got a cab and went home to a raging mother. 

"Where the hell have you been the entire day?! The school called saying you missed your classes and weren't at school! I've been worried sick! What's wrong with you?!"

I meant to tell her where I've been. More importantly, who I've been with. But all that came out was, "I'm sorry mom."

"Seriously?! You're sorry?! You couldn't have texted or called?!"

"I said I'm sorry, god!" and with that I stormed up to my room. Wow. I didn't expect myself to do that. Guess she infuriates me more than I let on. "This is not good.." Today was a long, eventful day but by now, I was exhausted. And with that thought, I finally dozed off into a deep slumber.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

(just got back after a while, don't judge;)