Chapter 1

Once upon a time in the kingdom of Enchansia, there lived a princess who had trouble sleeping. She lived with her mother, Queen Miranda, her stepfather, King Roland II, her stepsiblings, Princess Amber and Prince James, and her animal friends: Clover - her bunny, her helpful bluebird - Mia, and a red bird - Robin, and her squirrel - Whatnaught. One night, while she was sleeping, she dreamed that she was running away from someone. She asked, "Who are you?" but the shadow replied, "Find me." Then, it scratched her arm. Suddenly, she woke up with a fright to Mia and Robin singing.

"Yo Princess, you up?" Clover asked as he squeezed through a secret passageway.

"I am now," Sofia said as she stretched and yawned.

"What happened to your arm, Sof?" Clover asked as he climbed on her bed.

"Oh no, it wasn't a dream!" Sofia screamed.

"UHM, Sofia, what wasn't a dream?" Mia asked.

"Mia, guys, I love you, I do, but Baileywick is gonna come in and I need to cover up my arm, so boys, you're on lookout duty!" Sofia ordered as Clover and Whatnaught gave her a salute. "Do I have a long-sleeved jacket?" Sofia asked.

"Only this one," Robin said as she brought out a blue, red, and green jacket with the letters RPA (Royal Prep Academy) on it.

"Thank you, Hugo!" Sofia exclaimed happily.

"Uhm, Sof? Who is Hugo?" Clover asked.

"He's a friend," Sofia lied.

"He must be a good friend if he gave you his RPA jacket," Clover replied.

"He's the best. When I'm around him, I don't feel like Princess Sofia. I just feel like Sofia the villager," Sofia said, smiling as she left the room and saw her step-siblings outside their doors.

"Hello, Amber," she said as she hummed the words from "Take A Leap" and skipped towards her. "Good morning, James," she said as she grabbed his hands and he twirled her.

"Whoa! Good morning to you too, Sof," James chuckled. It was then that Amber saw her jacket.

"Sofia? Whose jacket have you got on?" Amber asked as Sofia stopped in her tacks, too scared to turn around.

"My friend's," Sofia said. At that time, he was her best friend.

Amber studied her sister and saw Sofia sniff her jacket. She heard her whisper, "It smells like him too."

"Like who?" Amber asked.

"Mom, Dad, Sofia's got a crush on someone and won't tell me!" Amber pouted as she ran to the dining hall.r pouted as she ran to the dining hall.Miranda laughed. "Amber, when Sofia and I were living in the village? Sofia's dad was setting sail and he was extremely close to Sofia. He made her promise that she wouldn't date any boys, right Sofia?" Everyone turned their heads to look at Sofia.

Sofia replied, "If you're going to tell the story, at least tell the full story. Yes, my dad said no boys until I find the one for me, princess," Sofia said with tears threatening to fall. "And you may want to forget him, but I can't!" 

After a moment of silence, a loud knock on the door echoed through the castle's halls. Roland asked Baileywick to check who it was, but Sofia interrupted him by questioning his self-absorption. Everyone was taken aback except for Miranda, who was shocked. Miranda reminded Sofia that she was a princess, but Sofia snapped back, saying that she was just a girl from a village who was forced to leave her home, friends, and family that she didn't even choose. Sofia apologized to James and Amber and then ran upstairs to her room. Baileywick opened the castle's doors and saw a prince, Amber and James saw the prince and said in unison. "Hugo? What are you doing here?!"

"I'll show you where she is," Miranda said, pointing upstairs. 

"Thank you, your highness," Hugo replied with a bow. 

"When she's like this, all she needs is a friend," Miranda added. 

Hugo knocked on Sofia's door, and she shouted, "Go away, James!" 

"It's not James," Hugo responded. 

"Sofia!" Hugo exclaimed as Sofia gasped and pulled him into her room, embracing him. Hugo picked her up and spun her around before putting her back down and kissing her cheek. 

"Hey, Princess. Is that my letterman jacket?" Hugo asked, noticing the jacket on Sofia. 

"Oh, yeah," Sofia said, about to take it off when Hugo stopped her. 

"Keep it. You look good in it," Hugo said, taking her hand and leading her to her bed. Sofia laid her head on his lap, smiling, as he ran his fingers through her hair. However, their happiness was short-lived as Sofia's mother called her.

Sofia was having fun sliding down the bannister when her parents announced they were going on a business trip for the weekend. They also mentioned that James and Amber were sleeping over at their friends' place. Sofia was surprised to hear that she would be left alone at home. However, Miranda quickly reassured her that Baileywick would be staying with her. 

Sofia then asked if her friend Hugo could stay with her too, to which her father agreed. Sofia was overjoyed at the thought of spending the weekend with her friends. She hugged the twins and thanked them for being there for her. When she went up to her room, she hugged Hugo tightly and he spun her around, making her laugh. Sofia was happy to have her friends by her side and was looking forward to a fun-filled weekend.

"See you tomorrow, princess," Hugo said as Sofia was singing.

It's like he doesn't hear a word I say
His mind is somewhere far away
And I don't know how to get there

It's like all he wants is to chill out
Makes me wanna pull all my hair out
Like he doesn't even care

Him and me are face to face

but  we don't see eye to eye

Like  fire and rain
He can drive me insane 
But I can't stay mad at him for anything
We're Venus and Mars
We're like different stars

"Who is that, Mother?" James and Amber asked, and Miranda just shrugged. They could hear Sofia singing from downstairs. When they found the voice, they were shocked. 

"Hey guys, what brings you to my chamber?" Sofia asked nervously.

Amber gasped. "That was you singing! You should perform at my ball next week."

"You want me to perform in front of a ballroom full of people? No... I can't!" Sofia said as Amber gave her the puppy-dog look. "Ugh!! Fine, I'll do it."