1.08

over the next few days, anytime she wasn't at school, jade was in the studio writing music with luke. julie and the other boys joined them sometimes too, but they felt like somewhat of a third wheel most of the time.

writing with luke just felt so natural to jade. it came so simply. the lyrics and melodies just poured out of them, flowing together perfectly. the songs they were writing were some of the best songs jade felt like she'd ever written.

she felt so connected to these boys, in a way she couldn't describe. they helped her feel closer to rose, but also closer to music. she had missed playing more than she realized.

she still had yet to pick up her guitar again. her dad was the one that taught her and every time she looked at it, it felt like the knife in her heart was twisting.

she was relieved that she got to stay in the music program so that she didn't have to talk to her parents. it was just too complicated to deal with and she wouldn't even know how to start a conversation with them. they haven't spoken since she left.

one of her favourite parts of school aside from the music class, was her drama class. she had always loved acting, since she felt like she was already doing it most of the time anyways. she always had to pretend to be someone else, someone her parents would accept.

she also loved this class because of the other students. one in particular; Matthew.

she had basically had a crush on him since she could remember. he was a grade above her, but they had always gone to the same schools growing up. jade wasn't sure why she liked him so much. he had never shown interest in her, or even talked to her, except for after hers and julies performance. he was more of a fantasy crush, something she knew could never happened but she dreamt it anyways.

"okay!" her drama teacher, Ms Clair, clapped her hands, stepping to the small stage in the drama room. it was only a step up from the rest of the room, and it was just a few feet deep. "next lesson, you will pair up and pick a scene from one of the shows we've been studying." she explains, making jade especially nervous. as much as she liked these student, she didn't know any of them very well. "and no musical numbers! i want to see your acting." she adds quickly, knowing that most of the students in this class were also in the music program.

jade stayed in her chair, looking around awkwardly. she noticed that a lot of people had already paired up and she didn't really see anyone on their own.

"hey."

jade eyes widened when she turned to see matthew smoothly sliding in to the chair next to her.

"um, hi." she spoke quietly, mentally slapping herself for sounding so awkward.

"do you want to be parenters?" he asks, a sly smirk on his face. jade choked on air slightly but nodded. "cool." he continues to smirk at her.

jade suddenly felt uncomfortable with his eyes on her and cleared her throat awkwardly, reaching into her bag to find the list of shows they could pick from.

"so i was thinking we could-" she starts, but matt grabs the books from her and sets it on the chair on his other side.

"we don't need to work right now, let's just get to know each other." he says and she nodded slightly again. "now, i'm sure you already know i'm an a amazing actor, but i've never seen you act before." he states and she became slightly confused. "you're new here, right?"