Let's Fall in Love for the Night

"Let's fall in love for the night and forget in the morning...I know better than to ever call you mine"- Let's Fall in Love for the Night, Finneas

Benny studied the facial features of the girl in front of him, a smile slightly forming on his lips. The latter was sound asleep, laying on her side next to him on the bed. There was only a foot of distance between them but he craved to close that distance, just like the previous night. He was about to scoot closer when it dawned on him how the sun light was hitting her face. It's morning. They may be lovers in the night but they're nothing but friends in the morning. He pursed his lips, eyes still staring at her affectionately as he brushed her hair with his hand gently. This girl sure could make a genius like him stupid. He clicked his tongue before getting up from the bed. He picked up his clothes that were lying on the ground and put them on. He was in the middle of putting his pants on when he heard her stir on the bed.

"Benny, you awake?" He heard her say with a yawn. He picked up his shirt and put it on as he answered.

"Yeah. You should sleep more, Nancy." He said with an indifferent tone before he picked up the carton of cigarettes on her bedside table. He did not even hear her reply. He went out to the balcony of her 3rd floor studio apartment and proceeded to light one of the cigarettes.

He let out a deep sigh as he exhaled the smoke. It had been a year since their complicated relationship started. They would call themselves friends but would sleep with each other almost every other night. He did not really know what to call them but the label did not matter or at least, that was what he kept telling himself. He blew another puff of smoke as he let his mind be occupied with games of chess. It was his expertise. Relationships, on the other hand, were not.

"Are you going to stay for breakfast?" Nancy's voice came from behind him. She walked towards him and leaned her back against the railings, a beautiful smile adorning her face. She was wearing a pink night robe and she was crossing her arms against her chest.

"Nah" He replied, his tone nonchalant as he kept on smoking while staring at the horizon. She would always ask if he would stay for breakfast and he would always refuse. It was not like he did not want to stay but rather, he was afraid he would be crossing a line if he stayed. The thing about Benny was he knew his place - a fun for the night and nothing in the morning.

"I'm working late again tonight. Will you be busy?" From his peripheral vision, he could see her staring at him but he shrugged it off.

"No, I can pick you up if you like." He unlit the cigarette in his hand then threw it away.

"Thank you, Benny. You're always a great help." She said and he finally looked at her face, his expression softening for a moment before going back to his indifferent facade.

"No problem" He smiled a little and headed inside her apartment. "I'll get going now." He waved his hand and without even glancing at her one last time, he left.

--------------------------

It had been more than a year since Nancy first slept with Benny, more than a year since their friendship became complicated. She always had mixed feelings about it. Making love with Benny had always been great but at the same time, she wanted to be more than a "friend he could fuck" to him. By the way the chess player would act every morning after though, she figured she would be nothing more than that. So, she would always remind herself of her place - a fun for the night and nothing in the morning. That did not mean she would not take advantage of the fun nights though. She would make up excuses for them to meet in the night. For instance, she took the late night shift on purpose so he would pick her up. She knew how desperate she seemed but she could not help it. Benny made her that way.