Oops

"Oops, my baby, you woke up in my bed
Oops, we broke up, we're better off as friends
Now I accidentally need you, I don't know what to do
Oops, baby, I love you"
- Oops, Little Mix ft. Charlie Puth

 "Let's break up." The words that had been on the tip of her tongue for the whole week had finally left Erika's mouth. She was sitting across from Benny at some new fancy restaurant in the city. They were in the middle of their dessert (or more like she was while Benny was gulping down the cheapest wine at the place) when Erika finally gathered enough courage to say it.

They had only been dating for two months but she just somehow figured out that it would not last. They were just not compatible with her wearing her heart on her sleeves while Benny didn't even seem to have a heart to wear on his own. They were the classic friends to lovers kind of couple so she knew that he was not the type to be affectionate. He also casually just brought up the idea of being in a relationship with her which she readily agreed. Still, a part of her hoped that he could at least be a little romantic. Bringing her to a fancy restaurant after she practically begged for it for weeks obviously did not count.

"Ohh..." He paused for a while, putting down the empty glass of wine on the table. There was a moment of silence between them and only the sound of him pouring wine to his glass could be heard. "Did I do something?" His voice was nonchalant and she had to bite her lips to prevent herself from breaking down. She was breaking off their relationship and he didn't seem to mind it one bit.

"You didn't do anything. That's why I'm breaking up with you." At this, Benny raised an eyebrow but other than that, his expression remained calm. "I just realized that you're not my type. I prefer more romantic guys so this thing between us won't really work out." She explained and Benny nodded at her in agreement.

"You got a point." He took a sip on his wine. He was not the type to easily agree with people, even to her, so the fact that he was agreeing with her decision bothered her a lot. "Can we still be friends? Or will you find that awkward?" She pondered about it for a moment, staring at Benny whose gaze was fixed on his wine glass.

"Being friends sounds alright with me. It won't be awkward at all."

That was their first break up. Two weeks later, they got into a relationship again when a drunk Benny visited her apartment at night to give her a bouquet of flowers and tell her he really likes her. She really likes him too, a lot, so what choice did she have but to take him back?

--------------------------

"We need to talk." Benny spoke the words as nonchalantly as possible to hide any sign of emotions as he and Erika walked side by side. He picked her up from her work and they were on their way to the nearest diner where he parked his car. There was nervousness in her expression, which made Benny feel guilty.

"About what exactly?" She asked and Benny let the question hang in the air until they had reached his car. He pursed his lips, contemplating for a bit while he studied her facial expression. He had a feeling she already knew what he was going to say. "You can just say whatever you want to say."

"All right," He said but nothing was all right with him at the moment. "Can we... break up?" Erika stared at him with an unreadable expression. He had always been good at reading his opponent in chess so naturally, he was good at reading people. She was an exception though. Even when she had her heart on her sleeves, he still could not exactly figure her out.

"Are you breaking up with me?" She spoke softly and Benny had to take a long pause as if he was trying to reconsider it but no, he had already decided two days before that he was going to end it with her. He could not back out anymore.