Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 5

Alex Perez dribbled the soccer ball, running back and forth on the field. Diana watched her silently. She had seen Alex play a couple of times, and each and every time she was shocked by her level of skill. The girl was talented, that was for sure. But that did not change the fact that Diana was dreading having to paint her. The whole reason she was out on the soccer field right then was to arrange a time each week with Alex to do so.

For the past thirty minutes, Diana had been sitting at the empty bleachers watching the soccer girls practice. At first she had just played games on her phone, but had quickly gotten bored with that. Surprisingly enough, watching Alex play was pretty entertaining. The other girls on the team were pretty good too, but it was clear that Alex shone amongst them all.

A couple more minutes passed and Diana could tell that practice was over. Most of the girls had dispersed from the field and were now heading for the locker rooms. Diana quickly got to her feet, jogging to catch Alex before she went in.

"Alex!"

Diana couldn't tell if Alex genuinely had not heard her or if she had just chosen to ignore her.

"Alex!" Diana called out once again, louder. She had caught up to the girl, but kept some distance between herself and the sweaty girl.

Alex Perez turned around, a soccer ball balanced underneath her arm as she did a quick scan of the girl that had just run up to her.

"Can I help you?"

Diana felt herself shrink back at the rude tone in Alex's question. She so desperately wanted to turn around, to be on her way. But as much as she wanted to, she knew she couldn't do that.

"We have to arrange a time when I can paint you," Diana said instead.

The confusion was evident on Alex's face, and Diana only felt herself shrink more. Alex didn't seem to have any idea of what she was talking about.

"I have to paint portraits of you," Diana replied flatly. "It's for-"

"I know what it's for," Alex said, interrupting her, "I just didn't think you'd be the one doing it." Alex did not hide the displeasure she felt, and it was clear in the expression across her face. This only led to Diana feeling angrier.

"Can't you just like... take a picture of me and paint me from the picture?" Alex asked. This time Diana rolled her eyes, she didn't see the point in not doing so, after all, Alex was making her distaste with the whole situation apparent.

"It doesn't work like that," Diana replied curtly. "I have to paint you, I have to be able to capture your three-dimensional self, the depth..."

"What does that even mean?"

"Well," Diana began, her irritation finally getting the best of her, "according to Google, painting is the process of or art of using paint, in a picture, or a protective coating-"

"I know what painting means," Alex grumbled, cutting her off for the umpteenth time. It was clear that she was not amused by Diana's sarcasm. "Also, it's a bit weird that you have the google definition of 'painting' memorized."

By now they were the only ones left on the soccer field, as all the other girls had gone into the changing rooms. The wind blew around them lightly and Diana could not help but notice how the few strands of hair hanging out Alex's ponytail moved with the air. She also noticed the light pink tinge on Alex's face. Whether that was from physical exercise or just plain annoyance at being in her presence, Diana couldn't tell.

"I've been informed I have to paint a total of three different portraits of you. One professional, one casual and another in your soccer jersey..." Diana stopped talking, waiting for Alex's reply, but the other girl just looked at her. "We need to decide when to meet..."