Chapter one

Mending Hearts Chapter 1:

"Diane, how long are you going to mourn our child for Christ's sake? It is not your fault he's dead. The doctor said he had a heart condition, please, Diane, you can't mourn for him forever!
You have a life, your business, and your fashion line. Are you planning to throw everything away, just because of our child?
I'm disappointed in you," Mario answered in pain.

"Mario, our baby boy is dead! Don't you care that we lost a child? It hurts so bad," Diane replied in pain with sorrow written all over her face.

"That's not true and you know it," Mario's eyes blaze back at Diane, there is much hurt in his eyes.

"I do care about our son! Please, sweetie, we have to talk about our feelings and mourn our baby together."

"What kind of person would do that to someone they love?" Mario answered, turning his back to the bedroom and looking outside the window.

"I'm sorry Mario, I can't do that, it hurts too much. I can't go back to work, it's too painful. I just can't not yet," Diane replies with tears streaming from her eyes, continuing without looking at him.

"I see this is the end of our conversation. I have to go to work! I'm already late. If I don't go, I will regret what I am going to do. Take care, Diane, I don't have time to speak to you anymore, I have to go. I hope when you're ready we will talk about this issue when you feel better. I love you, Diana, so much!"  He kissed her on her forehead and left for work early in the morning with sadness in his eyes.

Diane sees the hurt in his eyes, she didn't mean to snap at him. She was a grieving mother who lost her baby in her arms while cuddling him to sleep. She wasn't ready to return to work she needed time. She'd return to work to start anew after mourning her son. She decided to become more focused on her new fashion designs for the new spring collection so she worked on them during her leave.

Diane and Mario have been married for 10 years without a child. One day that would change. She found out she was pregnant, she carried him to full term, and gave birth to a healthy baby boy.  But, later, when he was just 6 weeks old, he was rushed to the hospital and was pronounced dead on arrival.

Mario asked the doctor why he passed away. The doctor said he was suffering from a heart condition. It was a hole in the heart. The nurses took an x-ray on him and saw his heart had indeed a hole and that he would have needed a surgeon right away after he was born. Unfortunately, nobody saw the hole on the day he was born.

The doctor apologized to Mario. An apology wouldn't bring our baby back though.

Diane didn't want to hear it. She couldn't believe the only child, the child she prayed to God for, was now dead. Her eyes broke into uncontrollable tears. Mario ran to her to comfort her and told her everything would be alright.

The doctor said, "you can still have children. Diane, don't give up hope. You are the strongest woman I know, please Diane stop crying."

Diane sniffed and replied. "I know Dr. Evans but he was my life and my soul. I carried him for nine months.  I'm just so attached to him, I can't let go," She kept crying and Mario cried with her.

"There are other options like adopting or IV treatment." Dr. Evans answered back.

Diane whipped her tears, "Really?"

"Yes!" The doctor confirmed.

Mario also took a tissue and cleaned his eyes. "Wow that's good news," he replied.

Dr Evans answered "Of course, you can start your IV treatment whenever you guys are ready."

"Thank you very much for your advice, Dr. Evans. We will think about it."

"Is it okay for us to take our son's body for burial?"  Diane asked.

"Of course you can," the doctor nodded.

So all three got up and left his office.

"Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss," he shook Mario's hand and gave a hug to Diane.

"Thank you for everything," Mario said and the doctor nodded as you're welcome.

So Mario took Diane to the room where little Mario's small body was lying in the crib. They saw his body for the last time and started making preparations for his funeral the next day.

On Saturday morning was the funeral of their baby son, people from close and far journeyed to the funeral grounds to mourn with the young couple. Including Diane's childhood friend who came with her husband, Frank.

When Nikki saw her she hugged her and replied " I'm sorry about your baby boy."

Diane looked at her with tears in her eyes. "Thank you for coming," she replied.

Frank answered " No problem, Diane.  We are all family mourning with you and Mario for your loss," he smiled and gave her a warm hug, "I'm going to see Mario I will be right back."

Frank walked to the burial and saw Mario leaning on his son's casket crying like a baby, he ran to him and held him.

"Frank! My son, my son is dead I won't be able to see him anymore! Frank why! Why was my son so full of life, until the cold hands of death took him away!"

Mario was so heartbroken he couldn't stop crying and Frank consoled him and said everything would be okay! 

"Don't lose hope. God will bless you and Diane with another child! You have to be the man for your wife. She needs you more now than ever," Frank said to him.

Mario wiped his tears and said, "You're right, but why did God take our son away?"

"I think God knows what happened to Luke and he didn't want him to suffer anymore," Frank said.

So, Mario and Frank went to their wives, hugged them, and all four went to the gravesite and had a seat like everyone else. Then, the pastor started the sermon about young Luke's life and spirit.

After the funeral they threw a small brunch with family and friends.

Mario and Diane played a small video of baby Luke to everyone and cried  in each other arms.

Mario's mom saw the video and tears fell from her eyes ,when she saw her grandson walking she was so happy and sad at the same time.

"This is so beautiful I can't stop thinking about him, " I miss him so much ".

Mario walked to his mother's  side with  sored eyes.

"I  miss him to mom" he was my first son" I  was so proud of him.

She smiled a little ' I  knew you love him so much " so did your wife' let his soul rest in perfect peace.

So Mario and his mom looked  through some pictures of Luke in the family album.

Both smiled through tears as he played with  his toys in video.

Diane saw them hugged each other while watching the video,  it touched her heart so much how close they are as one.

She turned her head towards her family who were on her side during the mourning period  it meant so much for her to have amazing family  who always supported her marriage and career  over the years.

Diane now realizes Luke was an important person in their lives as one combinated  vessel.

The lord knew it was time for Luke to go without suffering anymore.

She was sad and  heart broken but she knows the lord will give them  another  child at the appropriate time.

So she ran towards her family embrace them and  told them  how much she loves them.

Edited by AuthorSadieWaldon.