𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟮𝟲

"You got to do something," Arthur grunted as he lowered Danny down onto the couch. He looked at the blonde man, blood coming out of his mouth and his skin turning pale. Arthur's hands felt clammy at the sight, only last night was he drinking with the man who seemed fine. Susan moved over to him, Abigail placing a hand on Arthur's shoulder. The man looked at the woman before stepping out of her way. Susan began to press around his chest which Danny didn't seem to react from it, it was only when she put pressure on his ribs did he cry out in pain. Susan jolted back, her eyes saddening. She waved Abigail over silently and instructed her to do the same, Abigail doing as instructed and getting the same reaction. The two women exchanged a look, Arthur knew from their expressions that it wasn't good.

Arthur looked over his shoulder to see Dutch and Micah walked over, Dutch rubbing his jaw. Arthur wasn't even going to ask what happened. He quickly turned his attention back on Abigail and Susan. 

"It ain't good," Susan sighed, the visible sadness on her face already gave that away. "Pretty sure his ribs are broken and are impaling his lungs," she informed. Arthur was horrified at the news, looking down at Danny who sighed, forcing a smile.

"I fucking knew it," he coughed. The man rested his head back, a hand gripping the bridge of his nose as he restrained the urge to cry. Arthur shook his head, taking a few steps away. Arthur left the room, followed by Dutch. Danny wasn't very kind to him when they first met, which is what he expected. But he knew the man cared about Ruth. 

"You okay, son?" Dutch asked quietly. Arthur turned to look at him before shaking his head truthfully. 

"No, I found him dying Dutch. How am I suppose to be okay? He's the only one Ruth has left," Arthur snapped angrily, disappointed that there was nothing anyone could do to help him. Susan and Abigail were no surgical doctors, they just knew how to treat wounds. Even if they tried to get him to someone he wouldn't make the trip.

"I know, she just told me," Dutch muttered, nodding at him. "Well, you got to get her. She needs to be with him," Dutch informed Arthur. Arthur nodded before hurrying away, taking two steps at a time as he headed to Ruth.

Ruth's eyes darted for the singular door when she heard footsteps approaching already, and fast. She pushed herself up from off of the ground and stood their, watching the door open. She stared at Arthur who stood in the doorway. She hurried over to him but paused when he moved into the room. 

"There's something you need to know," Arthur muttered, barely making any eye contact with her. Ruth frowned, confused. She approached the man, tilting her head down to try and connect with his blue eyes.

"What? What is it?" She asked, starting to worry. Arthur took a deep breath, lifting his head up with closed eyes before opening his eyes as he breathed out. Ruth saw the sadness in his eyes and her heart immediately stopped.

"Danny, he..." Arthur paused, hesitating to tell her. It would break her heart. The room she stood in began to spin fast, her legs feeling wobbly. 

"Just say it," Ruth managed to murmur out. Arthur cleared his throat before continuing. 

"He's dying. He's got a rib or two going through his lungs and-"

"No," Ruth immediately sobbed, stopping him. Arthur looked at her with sad eyes as the woman began to break down in front of him. "No!" She cried, shaking entirely. Arthur quickly hurried over to her, catching her in his arms before she could fall to the ground at the news. Ruth's heart shattered at the news as she cried out, Arthur wrapping her tightly in his arms. As he comforted her, Ruth sobbed into his shoulder. Arthur was quiet for a while, trying to regain himself before he finally spoke again.