𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝟴

Ruth burst through the doors of the Rhodes Parlour House, hurrying through the open room filled with tables and people enjoying their lunch. She weaved her way past a man who scolded at her when she accidently bumped shoulders with him.

"Hey, Ruth! Ruth?" The barkeep called out to her as she hurried past him and through the swinging doors. Ruth opened the door and began ripping down the posters off of the walls and shoving them into her saddle bags. Ruth was aware of the shadow of the barkeep casting into her room as he stood in the doorway. "So you're a bounty hunter?" He asked, making his presence known. Ruth shook her head, keeping her back to him as she began to retrieve her clothes from the dresser.

"Gun for hire, currently working for Leviticus Cornwall to bring him Dutch Van Der Linde," Ruth ushered as she began shoving clothes effortlessly into her saddle bags. "They know I'm here so I have to leave."

"Where are you going to go?" He asked, sounding surprised. Ruth sighed and turned around to face him. She shrugged honestly, trying to force a smile out of herself.

"I don't know. I don't even know what I'm doing I-" Ruth paused, realising she was on the verge of tears. She looked at the barkeep who gave her a look of concern yet comfort. "I'm sorry," she apologised. The man shook his head at her.

"Don't apologise. You're under a lot of pressure," he made her feel less embarrassed. "You have anyone?" He asked curiously. Ruth shook her head at him.

"The only person I've got is up at Annesburg. But Dutch's boys are here," she explained. "That man I was talking to last night? That was Micah Bell, he lured me into a trap. I'm lucky I got out alive," Ruth shook her head, wanting to erase today's events from her mind. 

"Micah Bell? Damn, he looks uglier in person than on the poster," The barkeep laughed. Ruth chuckled, she knew he was trying to lift her spirits which she was grateful for. "Why are you working for that fool anyway? I don't like him and his schemes very much."

"He's got something against me," Ruth answered. She wasn't going to lie to him. "If I don't do this I'll be in a lot of trouble."

"Shit," he muttered. "I'm sorry. If it makes you feel better everyone has done something bad in their life," Ruth snorted and looked at the man.

"Not everyone. Oh, that reminds me!" The barkeep perked up. "Some mean looking bounty hunters came in looking for you. I assumed everything you told me was a lie so I wasn't going to tell you so you could face your consequences but after seeing the posters I figure you ain't lying so," he informed. Ruth frowned. Bounty hunters?

"Bounty hunters? Did they say why?" She asked him. The man shook his head.

"I told them you would be back soon though so you might want to get moving in case they do come back," he nodded at her saddle bags. Ruth nodded, quickly snatching up her saddle bag and throwing it over her shoulder. The barkeep stepped aside, allowing her to step out of the doorway. 

"Thank you, for everything," she thanked him. The man nodded and the two walked through the swinging doors to discover an empty Parlour House. Ruth frowned in confusion at the sight, pausing.

"What the?" The barkeep trailed off, just as confused. Ruth heard the clicks of two guns behind them ring out in the still-quiet Parlour house. 

"Get out of here, old man," a voice ordered him. Ruth looked at the barkeep who looked terrified. She nodded at him, ensuring him that she would be okay. He didn't waste time, darting back through the swinging doors past the two men and exiting through the side door. Ruth felt her shoulders get pulled back before a man moved in front of her, pushing her against the wall. She let out a yelp of pain as pain shot through her back.