25. The Truth

Yunho, Mingi, and Jongho watched the ambulance drive away in silence. The medics were nice, but Jongho still felt humiliated from having to send them away when it was him who called for the service.

He turned around, boots slushing in the snow. He didn't know snow could melt so quickly. Trying to keep a neutral expression, he eyed the bleeding wound on Yunho's left shoulder.

"We need to bring you to a hospital."

"We have to find San now," Yunho said at the same time.

Jongho and Yunho stared at each other, their stony eyes firm and unyielding.

Jongho broke the silence first, tensing his jaw to control his temper. "You're hurt."

I'm okay, Yunho wanted to say, but his arm twitched and his facial muscles had to contract to hide a grimace as his shoulder throbbed. "You shouldn't have sent that ambulance away, then." With his good arm, he reached over and held Mingi's hand. It was cold and moist with sweat. "You've seen what happened. We can't wait any longer. Don't you want to know what's going on?"

Exhaustion pushed a sigh out of Jongho's parted mouth. He ran a hand through his hair and looked to the side, irritated at the melted snow that made his head wet and frustrated from having no effective argument against Yunho.

He cast a sidelong glance at Mingi. He looked disorientated, the frown on his brows directed at nothing in particular. Distraught was clear in his shaking pupils and jittering irises. There was a small bloodstain on the hem of his sleeve, but other than that he looked like a piteous and innocent child who just needed help.

Finally, he sighed and said, "You're going to do what you want no matter what I do, so I might as well go with you."

Jongho fell behind, letting the other two lead the way. He observed the tall figures and could tell from the way Yunho tugged Mingi's arm every time they made a turn that Mingi was utterly shaken from the incident. It was odd; he had yet to understand everything and he hadn't forgotten the times Mingi tried to hurt Yunho, but the cold seemed to have put out every last spark of anger left in him.

They went out onto the main street and boarded a taxi. The rest of the trip was completed in heavy silence save for the occasional mumbles as Yunho talked to Mingi.

At the apartment door, Yunho and Jongho waited as Mingi entered the password. Quiet bleeps echoed in the hallway with each tap on the electronic lock. On his side, Jongho could sense Yunho's rigid body.

As soon as the lock clicked the door swung open wildly and a figure appeared on the other side. He gasped when he saw Mingi and stretched an arm out to pull him inside, but Yunho was quicker and slid in between the two.

"You've got some explaining to do," said Yunho, astonished by his own stern voice. Without asking for permission, he stepped over the doorway, forcing San to back away.

Mingi and Jongho followed closely and the door fell shut behind them with a loud bang. Now they stood in the entryway, next to the kitchen door and spilling into the living room.

"Where were you?" asked San, looking at Mingi with a deeply concerned expression. Then he turned to Yunho and Jongho, eyes hardening. "Were you with him?" His gaze landed on Yunho's injured shoulder. "What happened?"

"San-" Mingi started, a pleading tone in his tired voice.

"Tell us," Yunho interrupted. "The something that neither of us know, that you wouldn't let us know because you said we would be better off without knowing. That's clearly not true now, so tell us."