4. Nice to Meet You

Yunho shifted awkwardly in his new seat. The whole building used the same chair, but the one he was on just didn't feel right - his bottom and thighs couldn't fit comfortably on the cushioning.

The desk in front of him was neat - everything was organized in folders, magazine boxes, and pen holders. He would probably like this workspace if the things didn't belong to a coworker he had never met before.

He was on the very edge of a long row of colleagues sitting behind identical desks, so he could see the street view out the window on his left. He spotted people in suits walking into office buildings and his heart sank with the realization that the day had just begun.

"Yunho, right?"

Yunho turned away from the window when he heard his name, almost getting a heart attack when he came inches away from a person's face. The colleague to his right had wheeled over on his chair into Yunho's workspace.

"I'm Wooyoung," said the colleague, without waiting for Yunho to answer the question. "Feel free to ask me anything if you are having some trouble. But you should be fine if you worked in phone support. It's basically the same thing."

As he stared at Wooyoung's overgrown black hair and the bright eyes underneath, Yunho disputed the other's statement silently.

It's nowhere near the same thing. No one knew what I looked like in phone support.

Before Yunho could thank Wooyoung, someone stood up from the waiting area and approached Yunho's counter.

The split second of eye contact between Yunho and the stranger sent his sweat glands on his hands on overdrive.

Wooyoung gave Yunho a friendly pat on the back. "Good luck," he said.

Yunho appreciated the blessing, but he would've appreciated it more if it actually worked.

The stranger sat down on the sofa chair opposite Yunho's desk. Yunho did what he was taught and smiled at the first client of his temporary job.

The man gave a tiny smile in return. Yunho thought he looked civilized and good-natured with his brushed brown hair, soft eyes, and neat black suit. He forgot momentarily that appearances were deceiving.

All Yunho needed to do was process a transaction and withdraw cash. Those were basic tasks and they seemed easy, but things often turned out to be the opposite whenever you thought so.

He knew what was coming the moment he saw the account balance information on his screen. Mr. Lee - his client - didn't have enough money in his account to complete the transaction he wanted.

As he notified Mr. Lee of the problem, Yunho shifted his gaze from the credit card on his desk to its owner on the other side of the desk.

The soft eyes were still there, but the black pockets under them suddenly became much more prominent than before. Yunho couldn't be sure if they were even there when the man first sat down.

"What do you mean I don't have enough money? I deposited money just yesterday!" The voice was shrill and high-pitched, sounding like it came from someone bordering on hysteria.

Yunho's heart jumped from the sudden outburst, but he inhaled deeply and composed himself. He was right, after all - the truth was written on the screen. "I can check your account activity from yesterday to see-"

A sharp slam interrupted Yunho. Mr. Lee had struck the desk with his palm, the impact lifting the corner of his credit card away from the surface.

The noise concentrated everyone's attention to the corner of the lobby. The weight of dozens of pairs of eyes landed on Yunho, trapping him from all directions.