July 10th, 1917

Mary,

I arrived and found that my men were assigned a new leftenant which means that I was reassigned to a whole new group of men. It was a mix of Irish, English, and American. The Irish were easy and the English were ready to have a new Englishman in charge. The Americans were tough, just like Schofield said it would be. They're still giving me a hard time, but I believe that I'll work them out of it.

I've asked my CO about Schofield and he said that he'll look into it. He was curious as to why and I told him that you and William were seeing each other before he left for France. I hope you don't mind, but that was the fastest way to get any information about Schofield without going to the higher ups. I hope you're okay and I hope that mother and father aren't bothering you that much.

I also hope that you're not too lonely there. I know you told me that you enjoyed me being home with you, someone who would walk with you for hours, but I couldn't just sit idly by while the rest of my men were still here in France, fighting for our freedom. Besides, they said it'll be over soon. We're close to the end, I can feel it. I know that you understand that, since you seem to be interested in training to be a nurse. Yes, I saw that pamphlet on the dinner table. You're fortunate it was only me and that I placed it in your room before mother or father saw it. I'll support you, I know how much you hate just standing to the sidelines in moments like this, but if mother and father object, listen to them. They've lost a son and they're afraid of losing one more. They don't need to lose a daughter as well.

Will you tell mother that I'm fine and that I'm safe? I'm further from the front line than I've ever been in this war. I believe if she hears it from the both of us, she may believe it. The trenches are exactly how I remember, muddy and cold, with more quiet than noise. I hear the shots from where I'm stationed, and I know they are far away from me, but Schofield is right, it's difficult to feel at peace when you know they could be closing in from all sides. Also, tell father that I'm eating and that I'm staying healthy. I've literally just arrived and I've not had the time to lose the weight he believes that I have lost.

I will write as much as I can and as often as I can. As soon as I hear word of Schofield, I will write you. Keep your head up, Mary, and keep hope for Schofield. He seems to need it the most.

Your big brother,

Joseph

·。 ✩.·.。 * · *。★· · * ゚。 * ·゚*。·゚★ 。 ☆ ゚·。◦ *. ゚ ゚ 。·* ·。 ゚* ゚*

 ゚ ゚ 。·* ·。 ゚* ゚*