September 3rd, 1917

Mary got to the hospital earlier than she had ever been before. She knew that the following days would be hectic and busy for her and she wanted to keep her promise to Will, so she decided she'd get up earlier every morning and sit by his bedside until she had to leave him. She hadn't been able to see him again yesterday, except to say goodnight.

She quickly found Sophia and told her about William and Sophia begged to say hello, but Mary wanted to just spend time with him alone at the moment. Sophia understood but woke up as early as Mary to make sure that she couldn't come. Mary reminded her very politely that she had only just met William yesterday for the first time and this was probably the only time they'd spend time together without many interruptions.

As Mary made her way into the hospital, the night nurses walked past her, just having finished their shift and letting the morning nurses take over. Mary slipped in, her uniform allowing her to get into the room where William was without any trouble. She kept her coat on and her cap off, so they wouldn't accidentally call on her to help, as she walked towards William's bed, seeing the lance corporal asleep on the bed that seemed just a bit too small to comfortably fit him. She checked that he had enough water and that all of his items were still with him, though the morning nurse would also check, before she took a seat next to him, and gently took his hand. He took a deep breath, his head moving to face her as he opened his eyes, a smile on his lips as he saw that Mary was with him.

"Hello."

"Hi. We're going to have to be quiet because I may be called to work early if the doctor finds out I snuck in here with the morning nurses, they'll put me to work." William smiled, sighing as he closed his eyes. "Are you alright?"

"Mhm, just a bit of pain, nothing I can't handle."

"William-"

"I survived being shot. I'm fine at the moment, just a bit of pain, promise. As soon as they give me medication, I'll be fine."

"You have cuts all over you. What the hell happened." William fell silent at that, making Mary regret asking him. "Sorry, you don't have to talk about it."

"It's not that I don't want to, I can't, Mary. I don't ever want to relive that."

"It's okay, I understand. Joseph can never talk about it either."

"I'm sorry."

"You've nothing to apologize for." A nurse walked over to William now, stopping short when she saw Mary before continuing towards his bedside. "I'm visiting before I have to work, I've done nothing." The nurse said nothing about Mary and William's hands, which were still grasped together.

"Alright, Miss. How are you feeling today, Soldier?" William squirmed under both nurses' eyes, before shrugging.

"Fine." Mary looked at William, before stating, "He just said he was in pain." The nurse nodded as William sighed. Mary could tell he didn't want to burden anyone, but Mary also knew that William wanted to get out of the hospital, which would be quicker if he cooperated.

"I'll get you some medication right now. Do you need anything else?"

"I'm alright."

"Okay, the day nurses will change your bandages and make sure you didn't open your stitches in the night. I'll be back with your medication and breakfast in a moment."

"Thank you." William and Mary watched as the nurse walked away before turning back to each other. "I didn't want-"

"You will get released quicker if you speak up, William. It's our job to take care of you."

"Others have it worse."

"That doesn't mean you shouldn't get what you need. If it makes you feel better, I'll ask to change your bandages, will that make you feel less like a burden."

"No, you could be helping anyone."

"Yes, well, I want to be helping you. Besides, if I get to change your bandages, we'll spend more time together and I know that's something you won't object to." William smiled.

"Joseph told me you were pushy."

"Hm?"

"He said that if you and I ever met that I shouldn't even try to argue with you because you always get your way, no matter what the other person wants. Tom said you were also quite bossy in the orchard." Mary smiled, blushing and looking at their entwined hands.

"Someone had to make sure they were doing what they were supposed to. They were each other's Achilles heel sometimes."

"So I've heard." Mary smiled. "You seemed to be the most important person in both of their lives." Mary felt the warmth on her cheeks as she blushed. She never learned how to take compliments.

"I have to leave soon. I'm working almost all day, though, so if you want you can ask for me and I'll help you."

"And what if I just want to see you?" Mary smiled.

"I'm sure you'll think of something, yes?" William let out a laugh, wincing as he pressed against his bruised ribs. "The nurse should be back soon and then you'll be more comfortable."

"I'm fine."

"You're wincing."

"Yes, well, I'm in pain, but I could be worse. I've seen men with bones out of their bodies. I think I can take a few bruised bones." Mary sighed.

"William, I know that there are men that may never come home or will be forever changed, but that doesn't mean you can't feel something. It doesn't make your pain less important. I hope you realize that. I love you which means that I will care about you more than most. Please, don't try to tell me not to care about you."

"I can't help but feel as if I shouldn't feel any pain. I have all my limbs, I've gotten out of France, and I got home to you. I feel more fortunate than most."

"William, just because you've gotten lucky, doesn't mean that you haven't suffered. You were buried alive, you lost the one person that you got close to, then you almost were killed in a French village, then you ran three hundred yards on the front line. Then you were sent out again. I read your letters, I know just how broken you actually are."

"I feel like I shouldn't."

"It's your trauma, stop comparing it to others' trauma and know that it doesn't matter how much you didn't experience because someone else experienced something worse." William said nothing and Mary knew that he knew she was right. The nurse had come back with breakfast and the medication for William before turning to Mary.

"They're calling the day nurses at the moment, you may want to get there before they realize you're not there." Mary swore under her breath before she stood up.

"I'll be back to change your bandages, alright? Make sure you eat and take some medication."

"I will."

"And ask if you need-"

"Mary, I'll be fine, go do your job."

"I love you."

"I love you too. I'll see you soon." She leaned over, kissing his forehead before leaving him to go to work. 

·。 ✩.·.。 * · *。★· · * ゚。 * ·゚*。·゚★ 。 ☆ ゚·。◦ *. ゚ ゚ 。·* ·。 ゚* ゚*

 ゚ ゚ 。·* ·。 ゚* ゚*