Chapter 2 - What makes a soul

'Actually, ... I really don't want to kill you anyway. I'm not that type of guy. But you could be a huge help for me and for science itself!'

I gave him a quizzical look.

'Im very sorry, but I'm no scientist myself. I'm not good at it. I doubt I will be of any help.' Gaster shook his head and placed both hands on my shoulders.

'It's you. You, as a living, breathing human. I could study you.  Your soul properties. How determination affects your daily life. This could be revolutionary!' his white pinpricks that were previously glowing dimly shone so brightly that I felt like they would blind me if they were a bit more intense.

He pulled back and awaited my answer in anticipation.

'Yeah, I mean - sure. I'd love to be of any assistance that I could.' I said as I gave him a grin.

'You can stay and live here...actually I have a whole room I don't use that much, you could stay up there. I'll house you, I'll feed you, I'll cater to your every need and you, in turn, will help me advance monsterkind to their freedom! This is going to work out perfectly!' he practically beamed with every word he spoke.

'But there's one thing - no one must know that you're a human. Most monsters will try to kill you if they know your actual species, I'm sure you are already aware of that. You'll have to have your appearance hidden at all times, except when we are in the lab, and of course here, in your new home. I will also create a unique scent for you, I will cook up a formula that will make you smell less human in no time. Not a lot of monsters recognize smells, but Snowdin's sentries are all dogs.'

'So...I will live in hiding for the rest of my life?' I asked, getting a bit nervous.

'Oh, I'm sure it will only be temporary. With your help, I will be able to concoct a determination formula quickly, and we will all be on the surface before you know it. Then you can go back to your old life and everything will be settled.'

He spoke with such shine and confidence, that I could not but feel hopeful. Yes - it was a scary thought, but if he was so sure of it, then it must be true. 'Alright then, I trust you on this.'

He stood up from the couch and checked his watch.

'Good lord, it's already so late. Come, I'll show you to your room, and give you a spare change of clothes. We'll buy more tomorrow when we get to Hotland. '

He led me up a flight of stairs and instructed me to wait as he went inside a room. He came back with a simple large white T-shirt, some elastic shorts, and a lab coat.

'Alright, here are your pajamas, and here's what you will need for tomorrow. Your room is at the end of the hallway, there's already a spare mattress there, (for some reason it came with the house but I never have any guests, so, uh..), the bathroom is on the opposite side, I gave you a towel, toothpaste and all the essentials should be there... (not quite, I guess we will need to buy some shampoo), and yeah. We can work on all that stuff tomorrow.

The important thing is you get some rest today. We have a long day in front of us.'

he smiled, and awkwardly backtracked to his room.

'Will you be alright? Im sure you need to still process everything. I'll just leave you to it, not to mention its getting pretty late.' I nodded, and he smiled back and shut the door to his own room.

A quiet fell over me. I nervously shuffled to the end of the hallway and entered what would become my new room. It was small. It only had one mattress in the corner along with a bedside table. It didn't even have a blanket, but I didn't want to ask for it. I'd much rather just change, curl up into a tight ball and cry my lungs out. I didn't even want to show because I simply didn't care anymore.