Chapter 1: Katharine Miller

"Another day then." Katharine whispers to herself as she walks back into her small apartment, and out of the rain that slaps the front steps relentlessly. She hums quietly to herself as she slowly cleans and sets down her professional grade violin in its case, as well as the bow. Remembering the time she ended up forking over all that money for the beautiful violin Katharine smiles to herself. It was well worth the money. The 23 year-old picks up her phone and looks to see if any messages are waiting to be viewed, but, like always, there are none. Looking over to the water-streaked window she brews some coffee and gets onto her laptop to look for jobs. A knock sounds at her door, so she gets up and opens it to be greeted with a young adult, a handsome looking man.

"Hello?" She questions him.

"Hi, uh." He fumbles, trying to get something from his pocket. Successfully he gets a slip of paper out and hands it to her, "Colton told me to give this to you."

She looks at him wide-eyed, "You know my brother? Why didn't he just come himself?"

"Just read the paper." The man says again, so she reads it, then again, and again. Almost in hysterics she goes to sit down, but in vain, she ends up sinking to the floor. Katharine holds the paper close, tears dripping down from her cheeks, her eyes red and puffy, "Miss? I never read it, but he gave it to me then went somewhere."

She chokes out a sob, but seems to find her voice, "Someone's after him. This is his goodbye, because he knows they'll catch him, and most likely already have."

"I've known him for a while, he is- or was a nice guy. I'm so sorry for your loss." He looks down at her while he speaks in sorrow-filled voice, he turns to head down the hallway to leave the apartment complex.

Katharine is mixed with emotion, not knowing what to do, she just sits there, turning her brother's note over in her hands again, and again, not wanting it to be true. She looks at the back of the paper, making sure she didn't miss anything. But what it says on the back leads her into tears again.

-Katharine,
I know you'll look at the back last, I'm sorry this has to be so sudden. Visit mom and dad's graves for me alright? I know you didn't know them as well as I did, but then again you were seven when they died, but I'm glad you got to meet them. Love you sis. Be good to yourself.
-Colton

P.s. And by the way, his name is Mathew, he's a good guy, and is one of my best friends. I know you would like to meet him. So he's the one who gave you this note.

She laughs a little, but it comes out as a sob. Her big brother, still trying to find her someone, or at least a good guy-friend. Katharine picks up her violin, and the bow; and starts to play, it's her coping mechanism, she lets her despair flow from it. Without words, everyone in the apartment building knows her pain. Without words they know the nicest, caring, introvert in the building is in shambles. She pauses in playing to look out the now dry window, outside onto the park. Children playing, laughing, smiling, running around, happy. Happy? How can they be so happy on a day like this? She thinks to herself, but still puts her violin in its case. Gripping the handle to the case tightly, she heads outside, and goes to the cemetery where her parents lie.

A tear rolls off her left cheek as she sees their headstones becoming weathered. She walks up and reads the inscriptions again. Like every other time she comes.

Emily Rose Miller

January 5, 1957- March 11, 1998

A kind hearted mother, and wife.