Chapter 4: Lunch

Tuesday passed quickly for Katharine, it consisted of looking for jobs and applying for them. The beautiful gown layed on her bed inside the garment bag.  Repeatedly, throughout the day she went to it and just stared at the gown. Trying to figure out if she should really go to this event. The answer always turned out to be: 'Yes, I should go.' However, even now, she stares at the dress, still wondering. The clock on her bedside table had hit midnight long ago, Katharine hasn't been sleeping. When she tries, she just tosses and turns, not getting shut eye at all. Glancing at the clock she sees that it reads five in the morning, the young woman groans and scrubs her face with her hands.

"Why. Can't. I. Just. Sleep." She mumbles to herself in irritation, but of course she knows why. It's her brother, they would always chat over the phone every other day. Colton and Katharine had a close sibling bond, they took care of each other because they didn't have anyone else. She quietly leaves her room to turn on some classical music that her mother always had going in the house at an attempt to sleep, and luckily it works. Katharine ends up falling asleep on her plush burgundy couch.
_______________________________________

A soft rapping comes at the door, pulling Katharine out of her much needed sleep. She gets up anyway, looking through the peephole she identifies the man standing outside her door as Mathew. Quietly, she opens the door still groggy with sleep.

"Yes?" She queries, her voice raspy.

"Katharine, did you just wake up? It's lunchtime."

"Catnaps are kinda my thing." She lies, not wanting him to worry. Mathew looks at her questionably but lets it pass.

"The event starts at five."

"Well thanks for waking me up."

"You're welcome, I was wondering if you wanted to get lunch?" He asks, and Katharine looks at her attire; a navy blue tank top, and some sweatpants.

"Sure, but on two conditions."

"Depends on what they are."

"One; I have to change into living people clothes. And two; I pay." Mathew chuckles softly.

"One; yes. Two; no."

Katharine huffs, "It was worth a try." She shuffles back into her apartment, letting Mathew come in and close the door, "Make yourself at home, I'll only be a couple minutes."

Mathew nods and goes to sit on her couch, as she walks into her room, shutting the door after her. And several minutes later she comes back into the main room dressed in a denim button up shirt, black skinny jeans, and ankle boots.

"Ready?" He questions getting up.

"Yea." Katharine replies, grabbing her purse from the counter and leaving the building with him. As they both get into his car, Mathew starts it up and begins to drive.

"So where are we headed for lunch?" She questions.

"Somewhere."

"Obviously." She quietly laughs.

After driving roughly an hour Mathew pulls into a parking lot.

"Here?"

"Yep, my sister loves this place." He replies, exiting the car and leading Katharine to the quaint cafe.

Entering it, they are engulfed with the scent of freshly ground coffee, and newly made scones, "It smells delicious, but do they have sandwiches?"

"I take you to a lovely cafe with fresh coffee and sweets, but your worried about having a sandwich?" He jokes, and she looks at him seriously.