Chapter 6: Normalcy

-3rd person POV-

After three days of Katharine going in and out of consciousness she finally full wakes up, and both her best friends are there to see her.

"What happened?" Katharine croaks out, her voice cracking. She tries to get up but April carefully makes her lay back down.

"You had a sharp of glass in your chest. It almost punctured your heart." Mathew replies to her, trying to be as calming as he can to not send her into a state of worry.

"Your saying that I could have died." Katharine states, and Mathew nods sorrowfully.

"You got hit just below your heart, it missed all your vital organs." April tells her, enunciating the word 'just.'

"Alright, this is just great." Katharine replies sarcastically as she tries to sit up only to fall back into a laying down position, she grunts in pain.

"You're not as worried as I thought." Mathew says openly to her, and Katharine's head swivels to him.

"Well, I didn't die. So no, I'm not worried." She sighs, remembering her familys' terrible recurring incidents with dying.

"But you almost died!" April all but screeches in worry.

"Everyone in my family has died young, maybe I won't die young. But even if I do, I'm not worried. I'm not scared of death." Katharine replies, looking at her straight in the eye.

"Don't you have dreams? Things you want to fulfill in life, things you look forward to? Smelling fresh cookies, seeing a fluffy kitten or a loving puppy? The smell of freshly cut grass, and the fresh air?" April asks with a passion, there is a longing in her words, those are the sights and smells and experiences she hopes for and dreams of.

"I love all of those things yes, and I can't wait to be there on my wedding day, or smell the fresh air. But if growing up an orphan taught me anything, it taught me that as you grow up, we forget our dreams, we grow out of dreams because we have a mindset that we have to wake up to an alarm clock, wake up in a groggy-like state that you hate everything and everyone around you. And most of the time I wonder- why can't we be kids again? Where did the endless days of being carefree go? I miss that. I miss being with my pa-" Katharine stops herself as she almost started talking about her parents, she isn't ready to talk about them. Not even after all these years. No, she's not ready to talk about them, because talking about them would bring back the memories in a more vivid and lifelike form and make her think they are still there, but they aren't, and the present will crash down on her again. She sighs, and neither April nor Mathew ask about what she was going to say. Because they know, and it's an unspoken reason on why they don't say a word.

"Knock knock." Says the door and everyone looks at it in a perplexed manner until Katharine speaks up.

"Err....... Come in?" And with that a woman with a white lab coat bustles in with a clipboard in her hands.

"Hello, you haven't met me yet Katherine, but I'm Doctor Rachell Peters." She informs them and Katharine nods her head as her doctor fills her in on her injury. Just as soon as she came, she leaves.

"So basically the rundown of it is that a peice of glass punctured my chest in just the right angle to almost reach my heart?" Katharine asks her friends and they both nod silently, "Well this all is just wonderful." She continues sarcastically.

"Hey!" April speaks up, trying to lighten the mood, "Doc said once you're in the clear we can bring you home!"

"And when will that be? Four, five weeks?" Katharine states pessimistically.

"You're just a cheerful peach today aren't you?" Mathew voices and she looks at him.

"Yes, I am a cheerful peach." She replies blandly.

"You know," April speaks up, her voice unsure. "You were out for acouple days."

"How many?" Katharine's eyes widen knowing the date she was at the party.

"Three, It's Christmas today."

"Merry Christmas then." She replies, tears filling her eyes as she remembers her brother's death and how close it was to Christmas.

"Kat, I'm sorry." Mathew puts a hand on her arm in a comforting way and she smiles slightly.

"It's fine I guess, I was just looking forward to this day with Colton, and now.." She starts, but the words are stuck in her throat, "And now he's dead."

April's eyes immediately sadden, not knowing anything about this previously, "Kat I'm so sorry, I didn't know!"

"It's fine April, I chose not to tell you my brother died, I didn't want you do pity me."

"I wouldn't pity you, I would've hugged you tight and said how sorry I am, and that the pain won't just go away immediately. Because it never fully goes away." April says, her eyes starting to tear up as she thinks back to her brother who died in the military.

"Thank you April."

"You're welcome Kat."

A/N. Guys. I. Am. So. Sorry. First off, yay! I got this chapter completed on Christmas no less. But on another note I must say I apologize in full for not updating sooner. My life right now is weird, a bunch of crap is going on and I just never got to finishing this chapter. But I did! This chapter is sort of dedicated to my grandfather who died last Febuary, so this was a difficult first Christmas without him. Hope you guys enjoyed! Binge out on Christmas food and be with family! Or if you're more of the "take the food and run away from your family" kind of person do that too, I know I do that sometimes. Especially at New Years Parties... Anywho! Merry Christmas! Vote comment, I don't care, you're reading this book so that's good! See ya!