Chapter 8: Saturday

Saturday, the day Katharine will learn to rue. It starts fine, with the Vaughn siblings stopping by to give Katharine some macaroons that Mathew had gotten from a bakery and April giving her a new book. But it quickly spirals out of control when Mathew somberly enters her room again.

"Hey Mat." Katharine greets without looking up from her book, seeing the tufts of dark hair in her peripheral vision.

"Hello Katharine." His voice is dulled, his eyes seem smaller, lacking the light that they normally have. She notices all this when she sets the book on her lap.

"Mathew? What's wrong?" She tries to get up but fails miserably, ending up in tearing her stitches.

"I'll get your Doctor." Mathew rushes out of her hospital room and her doctor returns, telling her she should be more careful and that Mathew is waiting outside her room while her wound is stitched back up. The doctor leaves, letting Mathew return.

"Mathew, what's wrong"

"Katharine, I don't want to stress you out more than you already are." He speaks calmly.

"Well you're doing a terrible job at that." She replies shakily.

"I got the call." He says quietly.

"What call?"

"I finished bootcamp a couple months back, they told me to wait, that I could stay here until I need to go."

"What branch?" Katharine's eyes are stern, connecting the dots quickly.

"I'm a Navy SEAL."

"Mathew." She whispers, her voice is a mix of scolding him and regret.

"I was going to tell you." Mathew starts but she cut him off harshly.

"You want to know how my dad died?!" Anger fills her steely gaze, "He left home early one morning and I didn't get to see him off. Months passed and I had to see a flag and a coffin in his place."

"I didn't know...."

"Mom died about 5 weeks after in a car accident because of a driver that thought he could go through a red light. Colton was ten and I was seven."

"You don't have to tell m-"

"That's not all of it." Her eyes are wild as they glass over with salty tears, "My brother and I were put into separate foster homes, and each one hated me. They yelled, screamed, and hit me. I was young, too young."

"Kathar-"

"No Mathew, you don't get to say you're sorry. You don't get to apologize because I'm going to lose you too."

"You're not going to lose me." He says softly, but Katharine isn't listening as tears are now falling silently from her eyes.

"I can't lose you too okay? Mathew, I'm not strong enough to lose you too."

"Katharine." Mathew kneels at the side of her hospital bed, truth showing in his eyes, "You're stronger than most people I know. And that's why I'm going to come back."

"You lie." She seethes, "You can't promise me anything."

"Kathar-"

"Get out." She attempts to calm herself down.

"No. I'm not leaving you like thi-"

"I said. Get. Out!" Katharine loses her temper and glares holes into Mathew's head as he is forced to leave by concerned nurses.

"I have to leave next week." Is all Mathew gets to say as the door shuts, blocking him out of her hospital room. He contemplates calling April, but knows that Katharine will only yell at her as well. He dials her contact anyway.

[Hey Mat.]

"April, I leave next week. The day after the funeral."

[That's not convenient.] His sister sighs through the phone.

"April, I told Kat, and.... She isn't taking it well."

[How did you think she would take it, Mat?!]

"I don't need you mad at me too."

[Mat, I'm not angry at you. I just wish you would've called me before you told her. You can't just tell your second best friend you're leaving the day after her brother's funeral because you're a Navy SEAL and you're going overseas.] She pauses, [Did you tell her you're FBI as well?]

"No, I wouldn't do that to her. Not right now." He tell his sister in a hushed tone, "Besides, I sent in my resignation today."

[You're going to have to tell her sometime.]

"I know, just not now. I can't."

[Alright, but just know that if she finds out her own way-]

"I know, she'll be furious."

[Especially now. Look, I've got to go, an emergency just came up.]

"Are we still meeting for our weekly brother-sister dinner?"

[I don't know Mat, this is urgent and honestly, it could take a while. I'll keep you updated though.]

"Okay, be safe April."

[You too, Mat] April replies quickly before ending the call. Mathew sighs as he exits the hospital and heads to his car to go home. All the while, Katharine is trying to calm herself down in her hospital room, trying to not start crying over all the memories that are engulfing her mind. The nursing are frantic, not knowing why their patient just had a yelling spree at her best friend, and is now, trying not to have a panic attack.

A/N. Guys. I'm sorry. And I know, an: "I'm sorry," Isn't going to cut it, but right now it has to. I'm finishing up spring break in the next couple days and I finally looked at this book again. I'm not quitting it, no. I have plans for this book. Plans you readers won't like... *Rubs hands together maniacally.*

Anyway.... I'm going to get myself together and start writing more, but be patient with me, please. This chapter is a tad shorter than normal, and for that, I dearly apologize. So what do you guys think of Katharine's rage fest? What's up with Mathew and his secretive military and government affiliation? And what's April's urgent matter she has to attend to? I know! Mostly.... Not telling you guys though, only the poor, unfortunate souls that have hear me rant and become slightly crazed will know. Until next update! Have a very happy Easter and eat all the candy and chocolate your heart desires!