Chapter 8

"What's wrong, huh?" Seulgi props herself up on an elbow, looking over the edge of her mattress at the little bot that's been bumping against it repeatedly amid adamant squeaks. "Este, do you know what time it is?"

Este stops bumping and responds with a series of indignant, high-pitched squeaks.

"Now?" Seulgi groans, flinging her blanket off and pushing herself to her feet. Este rolls away quickly so she doesn't get stepped on. "Why didn't my phone ring?" Este beeps again. "Okay, there's no need for that kind of attitude. Chunhwa, lights please!"

The lights in Seulgi's unit glow to life. "Good morning, Seulgi," the AI greets. "You have four missed calls and seven text messages."

"Yeah, Este told me. Will you play the news?" Seulgi roots through her closet, pulling out a pair of loose cargo pants and an oversized t-shirt. She scoops her hair into a bun on the top of her head as she hurries into her kitchen, eyes on the holo that Chunhwa is projecting in the middle of her living room. Este follows behind, whirring with the speed she's going.

"...next week will see the last day of filming for Stem and Tree, the new drama starring the up-and-coming Lee Jeno. He told fans last week that he's never been more excited to share his work..." The newscaster rattles off more entertainment-related news as Seulgi brushes her teeth. Chunhwa has started the heat under the kettle when Seulgi reemerges from the bathroom.

"In case you missed it, here's some recaps of the big news from last week. Choi Eunji's husband and killer was committed to a mental facility after being found not guilty by reason of insanity. He will undergo rehabilitation. The investigation of the Skyview School teacher..."

"You know, Chunhwa, Este, I don't think he did it," Seulgi says, tuning out the rest. If they're recapping, it means nothing new has happened. She grabs a slice of bread and takes a bite.

"Who, Seulgi?" Chunhwa asks serenely while Este just lets out one, long, exasperated squeak.

"That Choi guy," Seulgi replies, pointing at the holo with a butter knife. "I really don't think he killed his wife."

"What makes you say that?" Chunhwa asks. Este squeaks rapidly at the same time.

"Nothing, I just don't think it makes sense. A gut feeling, you know?" Seulgi pours herself some coffee. "And yes, Este, I hear you. I'm working o—"

Seulgi's phone starts ringing. Este makes a triumphant squeak, while Chunhwa provides, unhelpfully, "You have an incoming call from Bae Joohyun."

Seulgi sighs and taps her wristband. An earpiece from the set of lenses and other tools she has stored near her temple emerges, and she sticks it in her ear.

"Where are you?" Joohyun's voice is sharp and clear and incredibly loud. Seulgi cringes, dialing down the volume a little. "We're having problems with that new synthetic arm."

"Well, yeah, I bet you are; I didn't build it," Seulgi says, rolling her eyes. "Did you have Sooyoung check the programming?"

"Yeah, she says it's in the mechanics. Chairman Kim is losing his mind. Fixing them all will take a few days at least, and that's after we find the problem." Seulgi lets Joohyun chatter in her ear as she puts her dishes away and gathers her things. "He's set to release the line next week. Why didn't you answer your phone?"

"It was off, because I was sleeping," Seulgi says.

"Don't you have Chunhwa wake you if you get a call?"

"Not on my days off! You're lucky Este is an obstinate little collection of scrap metal," Seulgi says, shooting Este a look. "She's what woke me."

"Whatever, just hurry in, okay?"