Chapter 1

I couldn't stop looking at my phone as I reread the post I saw last night on the EDGE subreddit. A well known Reddit user had written a post about how the company behind EDGE was shutting the game down. I couldn't believe it. There was no official news from the company, so I wasn't sure if it was true or not. But the profile that made the post was well known for breaking stories about EDGE, so I was about 90% confident that the story was true and the game was coming to an end. They had no reason to lie.

I scrolled through comment after comment of people expressing their opinion about the news. Many were upset and sad that EDGE, the biggest massively multiplayer online role playing game in the world might actually be shutting down. For many of us, EDGE was more than just a game, it was a way of life. A way to meet new friends, a way to have fun and a chance to escape reality. This couldn't be the end. I had invested so much time and money into leveling up my character and completing quests.

A monotone voice interrupted my thoughts. "Mr. Hunter, nice of you to join us today. How about you go to the board and solve the math problem," Mrs. Patterson said, my 11th-grade math teacher.

My mind starts racing, quickly bringing me back to reality. Back to the school with the massive, red, ugly brick walls boxing us in like caged animals.

"Sure!" I reply as I get up and head to the board.

This is my life, here in Philadelphia, Philly for short. It's also known as the city of Brotherly Love, which I think somewhere along the way, people forgot the love part, but nonetheless, it's my home. The red prison is called Howard High School, also known as Howard Jungle, or "The Jungle" for short.

And no, the name has nothing to do with our mascot or sports. The school was originally known as being one of the first and best magnet schools in the city, but that distinction has for the most part faded.

Out of the corner of my eye as I drag my feet to the front of the class, something shimmers in the sunlight. I resist the urge to turn and look even though I already know what it is. I do my absolute best not to give in, but dammit I just can't help myself.

My heart skips a beat as I glance in her direction. I can see the gold flower medallion necklace that hangs loosely around her neck and settles nicely in between her breasts-- I mean chest! I took a deep breath to clear my mind as my palms start to get clammy.

I have to focus!

"Any day now, Mr. Hunter," says Mrs. Patterson as she folds her arms.

Why is she always drawlin!

I continue walking towards the board and flash my annoying teacher a warm smile. You know, the kind of smile you give your mom when she tells you to clean your room, but you're in the middle of a big boss battle that you attacked with your party. Or better yet, the smile you give your aunt that you see once every three years, who loves to plant kisses all over you because she still thinks you're a little boy.

I just give all of them a warm smile that means, "I see you, I hear you, now go away." I call this my "fade to black" smile because the moment they get a response, they fade to black in my mind. I shudder at the thought of my aunt leaning in to kiss me on the cheek which causes laughter to break out in the classroom.

Come on Oliver, get it together. You can't be doing that in real life, they're gonna think you're even weirder.

In times like this when all eyes are on me and I get really nervous, I swear time slows down and I become superhuman without the super abilities though. I'm talking about being able to see dust particles flying through the air. Wait, what if I'm turning into Spiderman? That would be dope! I would need a cool costume though. And a new logo, not really feeling his traditional look.

A stern voice brings me back to reality once again. "Mr. Hunter, the board now!" The abrupt change from my own little world to reality causes me to trip over someone's leg as I attempt to speed walk to the board. Thankfully I caught myself before I fell face first into the ground. Unfortunately for me, I can't escape the snickers and whispers that fill the classroom.

Man, this teacher is really killing my vibe!

I finally make it to the board and size up the equation. The problem I need to solve isn't too hard. The pressing issue is getting it right will only show how much of a "nerd" I am. I try to keep a lower profile, but people already think I'm a weirdo. Being smart on top of that...that's just a recipe for disaster.

While one part of my brain does all of the math work, the other half drifts back to the girl with the necklace. Isabel — Isabel Rose. From all of the "field research" I've been doing on her, it seems like she doesn't like smart guys because she's always hanging out with Mike. It's a relationship I can't really wrap my mind around.

The best comparison I can make to it is imagine talking to a wall. That's it. The wall isn't magical, it won't talk back. It doesn't take you on a grand adventure or whisk you away to a fantasy world. It's just a wall. To continue talking to the wall would be bizarre, nonsensical, and just utterly ridiculous. That's Mike.

Not to mention the fact that he's an asshole! Internally I call him... Mike the Asshole! However, it seems as if it's just me that thinks of him like that. All the girls like him and all the guys want to be him. I don't get it, but, "that's none of my business."

Satisfied that I solved the problem correctly in my head, I grab the piece of yellow chalk, ready to write my answer. I stick my tongue out as my hands glide across the chalkboard. I turn around and signal to the teacher that I was done. Mrs. Patterson adjusts her glasses and purses her lips.

"Oliver...that answer is incorrect. Please take a seat."

I can hear snickering coming from the back of the room. It's probably from Mike and his boys. As I walk back towards my seat, I hear someone whisper, "Good job, stupid!"

I do everything in my power to conceal my anger. For the most part, I try to act like the comments don't hurt me but they do. My secret trick to staying calm is to keep my eyes focused on this invisible thing that I imagine is sitting on my desk.

Breaking my own rule I quickly glance in Isabel's direction to see if she noticed me as I make my way back to my seat. Of course, she's paying me no mind. Her head is down, as she taps away on her iPhone. She's probably on Instagramming about how stupid Oliver Hunter is. Hopefully she doesn't tag me.

Who am I kidding? She mos def doesn't even know my IG handle. I have nothing to worry about.

I finally make it back to my seat as Mrs. Patterson solves the problem I screwed up. Bored with what's unfolding in front of me, I look out the window as I try to get my mind to drift back to the news about EDGE. Unfortunately, my mind is set on keeping me present in this hell that is math class.

The ringing of the bell pulls me from my daydream. I grab my bookbag from under my desk and stuff my notebook inside as Mrs. Patterson mutters something about homework.