Chapter 3

"Listen I'm telling you the Eagles are winning the Super Bowl this year!" JJ shouts to the others at the table.

I don't really give two craps about sports, but I know this city is big on football, so I do my best to keep up. If you can't tell already, I'm a gaming, anime loving, nerd or as I like to say a blerd. That means black nerd or just blerd for short. I'd rather watch anime than the Kardashians. I'd rather read a manga then go on U Pick. I'd rather play EDGE (R.I.P) then...enough said right? I'm different and I realize it. Other people realize it too and pick on me because of it.

"The Eagles starting QB is looking unstoppable! The defense is looking great and our special teams is one of the best in the league," says June as she slams her empty chocolate milk carton on the table.

I don't know why or how June is so knowledgeable and gifted at sports, but June Wu is a football fanatic and sort of like a god here at our school. She's the star point guard of the high school's girls varsity team, and next year she'll be the starting quarterback for our varsity football team! 

Not many girls enjoy sitting with this group because of how rowdy the table gets, but June loves it. She lives and breaths sports, and she's pretty much better than every single person sitting at the table if not the school. An athlete built by the gods.

I snap back to reality as JJ makes some remark about one of the Eagles running backs being a human joystick. The back and forth goes on for the rest of lunch until the bell rang.

"Google it! The last time the Eagles did that they went to the Super Bowl!" June shouts as she leaps out of her seat and heads out the cafeteria.

I don't know what her parents are feeding her at home, but her confidence and swagger are so cool.

"O. O!" I jolt back to reality as JJ waves his hands in my face to get my attention.

"Yo, O, I'm bout to throw my trash away, I got yours too."

"Dang, you kissing up to me now, huh?" I say playfully punching JJ in the arm.

"Is it working?"

I shoot him an evil death stare.

"Take the trays back, I got the trash."

"Say less."

I turn and shot my ball of trash in the direction of the trashcan.

Of course, I miss.

I run towards the spot where my garbage lands and quickly pick it up while dunking it into the trash can. Two points.

As I turn around, I see Isabel heading right towards me. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I swear she's walking in slow motion. The kind of slow motion walk you see in movies or in a Beyonce video. I reach into my pocket and pull out my phone. This is the perfect opportunity to finally get her number!

What do I do? Just act normal Oliver and go with the plan. Okay, but what's the plan? Shit, uhhh, I'll tell her I didn't hear the homework assignment for Mrs. Patterson's class, and I need her number so she can text me the info.

Ya, that should work. 1....2...crap, I can't do this! Bail, bail, bail!

I turn my eyes to the ground and walk away as quickly as my feet allow me to. I can't tell 100%, but it feels like she's looking at me as I dash away from the trash can.

Actually, I'm pretty sure she is staring at me, but I know it's because I look like a whole weirdo walking away like that.

Damnit O! What are you doing!

I catch up to JJ and tell him about my almost encounter with Isabel.

"Bruh, if you want her number, then say it with ya chest!" JJ says in his best Kevin Hart voice. "If you don't get it...I will!" he screams as he wraps his arms around my neck in a headlock.

"Hands off man, don't even think about trying to steal my girl!" I yell as I playfully shove him off me.

"Your girl?' JJ scoffs at the thought as he breaks into laughter. "You know they call me, Mr. Steal Ya Girl!"

This causes me to burst out laughing as well. "Shut up man!" I say in between gasping for air.