Getting Dirty

"So, I'm guessing it's important?"

   "Yeah. Winter's deploying all Spartan Fireteams to combat them. I'll be riding with you guys."

   "Heh, just like the good old times..."

   "Might want to go get your team, Virgil. We have to go soon."

   "You got it," Virgil said, jogging off to the barracks.

***

   "Don't worry, I heard," Elizabeth said, pulling herself out of the armor assembler.

   "And the other two?"

   "Right here," Sylvia said as her and Nigel walked up to the rest of their team.

   "Well, first major mission, so, let's get it done, Aeolus. I'll meet you guys at the Pelican. Hangar 14, as always."

***

   "Aeolus, we're going to be defending Firebase Camery from a major Covenant. Recon has spotted very large amounts of Covenant infantry and armor heading towards the base. The research taking place there is too valuable to lose, and we do not have time to move the equipment. We'll be holding the North-East flank, while Fireteam Adient holds the North-West. Questions?"

   "Two Fireteams and the Spartan commander are going to hold off what sounds like a whole army?" Elizabeth asked evenly.

   "It sounded better the way I said it," Alyx sighed.

   "Well, we'll get it done, either way," Elizibeth said, her smile showing once again.

   "That's what I like to hear," Virgil commented as he nudged her shoulder.

   ***

   "That looks like a good spot to snipe," Sylvia said, pointing towards a tower.

   "Wanna help me get some sandbags and ammo?"

   "Sure thing, deadeye."

   "Virgil!"

   "Yeah?"

   "Come over here," Elizabeth said, waving the Spartan over.

   "What do you need, love?" he asked quietly.

   "Have you ever been in a battle like this? Where the odds are, so... against you?"

   "Well, there was Reach..."

   "The point is, are you worried at all?"

   "I think we'll be fine. Battered, but alive, and in the end, that works for me. Covies won't know what hit 'em."

   "Alright, then, fearless leader. Don't let me down."

   "I never will, love."