1 / she's leaving home

Stop getting distracted, the teacher is talking! Pay attention, pay attention, pay attention...

Attention...

Attension...

Attenison...

Arrenison...

Harrenison...

Harrison.

Goddammit, Bri! Focus!

I pushed up my glasses anxiously, trying to tune in and follow what my teacher was explaining about photo strategies. We were going to have a project next class to test our ability to use them, but how many did I know? Um, none? I didn't even choose this class. My first choice elective, Film, was full, and my second choice didn't have enough people sign up for it. So there I was, dropped into a photography course and stuck in it for the school year.

I probably wouldn't mind school if I had the ability to concentrate. And of course, I seemed to be daydreaming the afternoon away. A few thoughts about what was for dinner that night, new TV episodes. But mostly about George Harrison, my favorite member of the Beatles.

I was never really a boy band type of girl. I had cringed at the Backstreet Boys, I had cringed at the Jonas Brothers, and I didn't pay much mind to bands like One Direction or Five Seconds of Summer. I always preferred single artists instead of groups for some reason. But that had quickly changed.

Until about a year ago, I didn't really know much about the Beatles to have an opinion on them. I knew of a few of their really popular songs like "All You Need Is Love" and "Help!", but that was about it. That is, until I heard "A Hard Day's Night" on the radio one day while my dad was driving me to school, and I instantly fell in love with the melody and their voices. That's when I knew I had to find out more.

Eventually, I downloaded more songs, then learned their names, and finally realized that they were all super attractive to an extreme point where I was no longer interested in any guys from my school. By then, I was obsessed with them. Especially George.

I loved how he always seemed to be the mysterious one, how he wasn't quite like the rest of the Beatles. All of them were unique, of course--but something about George just told me that we would have a lot in common. And finally, he was just a beautiful human being altogether.

George Harrison's deep brown eyes, George Harrison's sexy hairstyles, George Harrison's cheekbones, George Harrison's accent, his voice. How wonderful it would be to have him as a boyfriend. Ahhh. If only I were born a little earlier and lived in Liverpool, not Pennsylvania.

Brrrrring!

The bell that indicated the end of the period destroyed my thoughts. Shit, I just missed half the notes we were supposed to take! I quickly smoothed down my uniform skirt and anxiously looked around for someone who could help.

Luckily, my classmate Caleb offered to lend me his notes packet to take home and copy off of. With the Beatles constantly on my mind though, I had no idea how long it would take for me to get that done.

Caleb pointed to my phone case, which featured Ringo, John, Paul and George sitting cross legged in their Sgt. Pepper gear. "You seem to really like the Beatles, Bri."

"I do," I said back to him. I could've went on to tell him just exactly how much, but I didn't want to embarrass myself.

"Aren't they all dead, though?" he asked, picking up his binders.

"No!" I replied defensively, grabbing my phone as well as my other belongings. "Just John...and...George."

Except I didn't really think of John and George as dead. They still felt very alive to me, even if John was killed while my parents were still in high school, even if George passed away before I could start kindergarten. I believed that their spirits still lived on.