11 / i should have known better

The remainder of the night was awkward; we ended up separating ourselves from each other slowly without even realizing we were doing so. Well, at least I didn't.

Paul eventually went upstairs to do something. I stayed in the living room--finding a pen and paper to write a few new songs, jumping at the crackles of thunder and listening to the still steady rain while I was at it. I bet he was losing even more interest in me for making myself so isolated in his own damn house. 

Things were much more natural for me around George; I didn't feel hesitant about being myself. I felt like I didn't have to be the girl who was ashamed to gush about the things she loved. I felt like we didn't run out of things to talk about so easily. 

At around midnight, I heard footsteps from the stairs over the rain that hit the window. The storm was only becoming worse, with the wind picking up and the roads slowly flooding. I was surprised that Paul's power hadn't gone out yet.

"Bri, I'm going to bed soon, love. I suggest you do, too," a voiced called. I turned around, and Paul was standing on the bottom step; already in his pajamas. 

"Okay..." I replied, gulping. "But I don't have anything to sleep in." I looked around me, not noticing anything remotely comfortable to sleep on, either. I wished I could have been able to prepare beforehand for this. "And I have nowhere to sleep..."

"Oh," Paul muttered. He sighed and pushed his hair back with one hand; probably regretting inviting me over in the first place. "Well um, I'll find ye something of mine you can sleep in. Come on upstairs."

I got up, placing the pen and paper on the chair. Paul headed back up the steps, and I followed.

When we got to his room, he started going through his dresser. A few T-shirts flew across the room onto his bed, followed by a pair of sweatpants. 

"Alright, go try those on. Not like they'll fit, anyway," Paul said, both of us laughing. Our height difference was very noticeable from where we were standing. He glanced in my direction, looking me up and down. "Gosh, ya really are small. Damn."

I giggled and grabbed the clothes he laid out for me. "Shut up, Paul!"

"It's alright, that just makes you even more adorable," he replied, coming up from behind me and hugging me. We bursted into a bunch of laughter, and the faint smell of his great smelling cologne made my nose tingle.

After we calmed down a bit, I asked, "So where can I change at?"

Paul loosened his grip on me and pointed over my head. "Uh, the bathroom is right over there."

I looked behind me, noticing the doorway in the corner. "Okay, I'll be out in a sec." As I headed towards the bathroom, I stopped and remembered how difficult it was for me to button my top up that afternoon. It was cute, but hard to get on. George was busy and I didn't want to disturb him, so I ended up spending a half hour bending my wrists and almost breaking my back.

"Um, Paul?"

"Yes, Bri?"

"Can you...unbutton for me?" I turned back around and asked quietly, suddenly feeling shy again. 

"Of course, love, come on over." Paul stood by the edge of his bed, beckoning me. I approached him slowly and spun around once I was close enough. A couple seconds passed before I felt the cold skin of his knuckles gently brushing against my back; sending a couple of shivers down my spine. Unhooking each little green plastic button, his soft breaths lightly met my skin. He unbuttoned the final one; exposing my entire bare back to his eyes. 

I heard Paul gasp a little. "That's all you're wearing? No bra or nothin'?" 

"I mean, I was...kind of hot today," I told him, feeling embarrassed that he had said something about it.