Put The 'Social' In This Network

I was once certain  that readers would magically appear to read a book (as long as it was well-written). But I quickly learned readers have to know about a book in order to read it, and they have to be convinced it'll be worth their time, even before they pick it up. Here at Wattpad, that's all up to you.

Wattpad is just a network of highways; it's up to you to get in your car and drive.

So let's go driving for an audience:

🗸 Am I participating in any book clubs?

Wattpad in 2021 doesn't officially support clubs, but they're still out there, and still one of my most recommended ways to get readers and make friends, too. Book clubs like Dreamland, The Rebel Elite, etc. allow you to swap books with other readers, all under the supervision of admins who make sure everyone is following the rules.

🗸 Have I integrated the rest of my social media with Wattpad?

This is essential to understand. It's one thing to get readers from Wattpad. It's a whole 'nother ball game to pull readers in from the entire freakin' internet. Think of Wattpad as a city, and other social media sites as the suburbs: Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Twitter. When we link those sites to Wattpad, we are building highways for the traffic of those sites to come and read our book.

Don't stand idly around waiting for audiences to engage you. Go to them: post on Twitter, follow other Wattpadians, share your work on Instagram, provide updates on TikTok, and on, and on.

🗸 Am I engaging my audience?

Wattpad is an amazing place where authors and readers can interact. But its not only the joy of interacting with your audience that's great. It's that, when we engage our readers, it increases the likelihood of them coming back. It's like that restaurant where the waitress was so, so kind and sweet. You'll want to support them by returning again and again.

🗸 Does mass randomly following or voting actually work?

Yes, and no. Most people who follow a ton of people in the hopes they'll get more exposure are often left disappointed. Why? It's not worth the level of effort that goes into it. If you follow one-hundred people, only a handful are likely to check out your profile, even less will actually read your book, and it is rare that anyone will become a long-term reader.

Also, it's very annoying.

🗸 Am I increasing exposure by participating in community events, like awards and contest?

Becoming a participant or judge in awards and contests is a great way to make friends. As a participant, you'll also get more reads from the judges and other competitors. As a judge, often the reward for your work comes in the form of participants following you. And one special bonus is that if you win, you'll get a sticker to put on your cover. This can be really compelling for a reader who spots it: if you won a sticker, it means you beat out other competitors, and there's a higher chance your work is good.

 This can be really compelling for a reader who spots it: if you won a sticker, it means you beat out other competitors, and there's a higher chance your work is good