Chapter 4

Henry knocked slightly on the door. He waited for it to be opened but it didn’t. He knocked again. It was apparent that she was inside the hut, she’s just ignoring him. His jaw tensed as he decided that he should just use brute force. Henry took a step back and then threw his whole weight onto the vulnerable-looking door.

The door was indeed weak. It crashed down the floor, startling Aria. “Jesus!” She glared at him angrily.

Not feeling sorry, Henry straightened and gave her a cheeky smile. “Forgive me, my lady, you were keeping my rightful crown captive inside here.”

“You could have asked nicely,” Aria said through gritted teeth.

“I did. I knocked politely but you ignored me blatantly.” Aria continued to glare at him. Henry crossed the small space between them, “Besides, it is against the rules.”

His voice dropped and he purred, “When a King demands entry, thou shalt not ignore.” Their noses had touched and she could feel his warm breath on her lips as he spoke. Being too close to him makes her heart do things that she wished it didn’t do.

“I’ve never heard of such rules,” Aria whispered. “Well, you have now my lady.” Henry smirked slightly and carefully placed his hand on the small of her back, pressing her against him. He kissed the bridge of her nose lightly and Aria let out a gasp involuntarily.

Oh why did her body always betray her?! His bright blue eyes gleamed; satisfied at the effect he had on her. Henry leaned in and Aria quickly turned her face away from him, causing his lips to land on her cheeks. He snickered against her skin, nuzzled it before pulling away slightly.

“Well that was fun.” He released her and stride across the room, picking up the hollow gold crown. He admired how the jewels gleamed in the sunlight before placing it on his head, where it rightfully belongs.

He walked towards where the door had been and turned, “I’m coming back for you, my lady.”

He paused at the doorframe, studying her. He wanted to capture this image of her before he leaves.

“That, I promise.”

And the King left.

The journey back was a stark contrast to the one they had. The troop hurtled through the castle gates without delay. Dismounting their horses, Henry unlatched the canteen from his steed and hurriedly headed towards the north tower where his mother was.

He approached the bed, signalling the handmaidens to bring a goblet towards him. Henry tipped the canteen slightly to the goblet as Mary tried to sit up with some help. Her face was painfully pale and her breath sounded mangled. He edged closer towards her and reached for her frail fingers. Placing the goblet unto her lips, Henry squeezed her hand slightly.

For a moment the Dowager Queen hesitated as her son urged her to drink. She squeezed his hand in return as she gulped every last drop of the water. Henry waited with bated breath but saw no changes. Mary had slumped against her pillows, still weak. Frowning, he stood up, feeling rage bubbling. Mary looked at her son and reached for him.

“No, no. I feel better dear.”

Perhaps her illness was far too strong and she will need more time to heal. He nodded and ordered a handmaiden to keep the canteen.

“Give the Dowager Queen a gobletful of the water every quarter of the day.” She bowed, acknowledging his orders and went away.

Mary tugged at her son and smiled wistfully at him as he looked up. “How was the trip Hal?”

‘Hal’ was what the royal family had affectionately called him throughout the years. Even before his father was crowned King. Only God knows what this family had gone through. War, assassination plans, family feuds had engulfed them and now the burden of keeping peace throughout the kingdom and uniting the states were now on his shoulders.

Henry smiled gently, “It was an interesting one.” Before he could stop himself, he went on tell her about the trip; how they got lost in the forest, being attacked by the dark ones, saved by a maiden. At this point Mary stopped him. “A maiden you say?” Her eyes were wide with curiosity, sitting up to listen to her son’s story.

Henry, not noticing that his mother was sitting up, quipped “Yes! She was a brave one at that, a skilled archer too.”

He continued to describe Aria, talking about how she had nursed him, the encounter of the enchanted spring and how he had kissed her and teased her even. Mary chuckled as her son narrated how the maiden had insulted him and placed a hand on his cheek. He has always been a natural jester.

“Hal, stop! You’re making my sides ache!” Henry laughed at her reaction and it suddenly hit him.

“You’re sitting up straighter!” he exclaimed. Mary, not realising that, stared at him. Signalling for the handmaiden, Henry shouted, “It worked! I think it’s time for another dose!”