Brothers

Morpheus sneered at her. "You will not live to regret that decision." He curled his fingers and a broad sword appeared in his hand with a cloud of fog. He glared at her.

Aliana stared at the weapon in fear. She glanced at the knife sheathed at her thigh.

The god of dreams attacked with a vicious down swing.

She barely had time to whip out her knife and block the massive blade. He pushed down on her, which forced her own blade closer to her chest. She didn't know how or why, but she knew that she could not let the knife cut her. She managed to spin free of his pressing attack.  She stumbled away.

Morpheus laughed and the sound ripped through her consciousness, sparking a instinctual fear. His voice felt like a feral monster crashing through her mind and flooding it with pure terror.

"You cannot hope to beat me." His sword swirled with fog and changed into a massive battle axe. "I have access to anything you humans can dream up." He heaved down the axe, slicing through grass and cracking the ground.

Aliana leapt back, just avoiding being chopped in half. She gripped her knife with white knuckles. Her heart felt like it might explode as adrenaline surged through her body, keeping her alive.

Morpheus went through an arsenal of weapons as she ducked and dodged his attacks. Finally, his scimitar morphed into a machine gun. It was an odd image really, but no less terrifying. He leveled the gun, aiming at her chest.

There was no escape this time. She squeezed her eyes shut and held up her arms as if that would protect her. She heard bullets fire, but felt nothing. She opened her eyes and found another tall man with strawberry blonde hair standing in front of her like a human shield.

He stared at Morpheus an angry fire in his jade green eyes. "Attacking the innocent? You should be ashamed Morpheus."

Morpheus tossed his gun aside. "Stay out of this Phantasus. It does not concern you."

Phantasus stood his ground. "I cannot let you do this, brother. This girl has done nothing to earn your wrath."

Morpheus snarled. "She was born."

Phantasus clenched his fists around the hilt of the sword Aliana hadn't noticed he was holding. "That is not a valid reason for this." His voice gushed with distaste. "Father would be displeased with your behavior of late."

Morpheus smirked. "That old codger could care less, even if he were awake."

"Leave the girl alone, Morpheus." Phantasus warned. "I will not ask you again."

"Nor will I." Morpheus snatched another sword out of the air. "Step aside."

Phantasus raised his weapon. "You will have to go through me."

Morpheus grinned gleefully. "Fine by me."

The two collided with the clash of metal against metal. They slashed relentlessly at each other.

Aliana couldn't do anything. She stepped towards the battle.

"No!" Phantasus dissuaded her. "I don't want you to get hurt."

She froze, watching helplessly as the two brothers fought. Her heart leapt into her throat as Phantasus took a blow to the head.

Morpheus kicked his brother in the chest, sending Phantasus rolling across the colorful grass. He stood over his brother, sword raised. "I've waited for this, brother." He spat the title, like it left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Phantasus pushed himself to his knees. "You have been corrupted, Morpheus. I cannot let it stand." He spun and slammed Morpheus in the face with the butt of his sword.

Morpheus stumbled back, disoriented.

Taking advantage of the vulnerability, Phantasus lunged forward. He threw his brother to the ground. Before Morpheus could rise, Phantasus drove his broad sword through his brother's chest and into the ground. 

Morpheus cried out. Ichor - the golden blood of the gods - gushed across Morpheus' chest, but he didn't die. He struggled and thrashed against the thick blade.

Phantasus stepped back, pushing his hair away from his face and heaving a long breath. "I'll let you up when you stop acting like a child." He turned to face Aliana. "I apologize for my brother."

She stared at the flailing god of dreams. "How is he alive?"

Phantasus glanced over his shoulder. "He is immortal. My sword could not kill him any more than his could slay me."

She tore her gaze from Morpheus' writhing form. "What now? I don't know where I come from. What am I supposed to do?"

Phantasus sighed. "There is one thing we can do." He walked over to a patch of open air and reached out. His palm pressed against something solid.

A glowing yellow outline traced the shape of a door in midair.

He pushed and what looked like a reflective panel opened into a black abyss. He stepped aside and met Aliana's gaze. "This is the Path of Memory."

"Where does it go?" She stared at the complete darkness.

"That depends on who walks it." He nodded towards her.

She took a step back. "But, I have no memory. I won't know where I am, where I'm going."

He nodded in acknowledgment. "The path should restore your memories."

"Should?" She asked uncertainly.

He took a deep breath. "I have known of only two mortals who have not regained their memory from walking this path. It is your only chance."

She took a long shaky breath and nodded. She walked over to him, flinching as Morpheus wailed behind her. 

Phantasus placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's alright. He can't hurt you anymore. I'll be sure to keep him away from the gates for a while."

Aliana met his gaze and smiled. "Thank you... for everything."

He nodded to her and gestured towards the open door.

She faced the blackness, taking a deep breath. She took a step towards the nothingness. Her foot landed on a solid step. Her shoulders relaxed. 

"One more thing," Phantasus' voice drew her gaze back to him. "when you get back, tell the gods they have an ally in the Realm of Dreams."

Aliana nodded then turned and walked into the pitch blackness of the Path of Memories.