Council

Chiron called all of the head councilors together for a War Meeting to figure out what to do with the Oracle's prophecy.

The mummified woman had walked right up to Zoe, delivered her prophecy, then sat on a rock and went inert. Percy and Grover had to carry her back to the attic. For once, Ali wasn't jealous of the Son of Poseidon.

Now, in the arena, around a table, sat the head councilors of each cabin - Charles Beckendorf, Selena Beauregard, Travis and Connor Stolls, Thalia the Daughter if Zeus, and Percy. One of Annabeth's brothers filled in for her, which only made her loss hurt more, almost like they were preparing someone to take her place. Ali sat among the councilors as well. When Chiron realized that he couldn't stop her from eavesdropping on the proceedings, he'd made her an honorary councilor. It worked, considering she lived in her own cabin anyway.

Unfortunately, Zoe, who represented the Hunters with Bianca di Angelo, their newest recruit, wasn't very fond of the idea. She glared at Ali. "What is she doing here? Last I checked, she has not been claimed and therefore cannot be a councilor."

She directed the question at Chiron, but Ali responded. "Your information is bit outdated."

"So your mother has claimed thee?" Zoe challenged.

Ali's fists clenched. "No, but a lot has changed in the last 9 years."

"Very well." Zoe sighed. "It is not up to me to decide who attends this council." She took her seat.

They spent the next hour "discussing" who would go on the quest. Zoe had received the prophecy, so she was the first choice. After that their were four spots to fill. The prophecy had said that five would go. Bianca took one. The second was filled by another Hunter. Grover became the third member for his tracking ability. The fourth was Thalia. Percy argued up and down the walls that he needed to go on the quest, but Zoe refused to work with a boy. It made Ali want to punch her across the arena.

"I feel like I need to be on this quest." Percy reiterated for the hundredth time.

"I will not work with a boy." Zoe retorted again.

"Why not?" Ali finally burst, pushing herself to her feet with her hands pressed against the table. "I know your little oath forbids you to have any romantic relationship with a guy, but sometimes you need them. Percy can do things you, none of you, can do. If he feels that he has to come with you. I say let him." She glared at Zoe. "It can't hurt anything."

Zoe huffed. "You are ignorant. It is because you were raised in this place." She spoke with distaste. "You should've taken our offer when you had the chance."

Ali gripped the table top. "Immortality might work for you, but I actually enjoy growing up, knowing things come to an end. It gives life a purpose. Eternity just gives you an excuse to do nothing." She turned on her heels and stalked out of the arena.

Percy moved to follow her, but Chiron placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let her be. She needs her space."
* * *
Ali sat on the edge of the dock, her feet dangling in the water. The water was cold against her bare feet. She'd probably get frostbite, but she really didn't care. That would be better than what she felt now.

She clenched her fists. She could almost envision Mason sitting beside her, his arm around her shoulders. She closed her eyes, feeling a hot tear roll down her cheek.

A cold winter breeze tossed her stray hairs. Her feet were already numb and the cuffs of her pants were wet even though she'd rolled them up.

"You okay?" Percy's voice drew her out of her thoughts.

She stared at her lap. She didn't like people to see her vulnerable.

Percy sat, dropping his feet into the water shoes and all. He didn't get wet unless he wanted to. Lucky fish. "I'm sorry about... you know." He spoke carefully, as if saying Mason's name would set her off. Maybe it would.

"It's not your fault." She still wouldn't meet his gaze. "It's mine." She drew her knees tight to her chest.

"That's not true." He placed a hand on her shoulder. "He helped you because you're his friend."

She scoffed. "One of the last things I did was tell him how much I hated him. He doesn't even know I remember." She rested her chin on her knees and stared out at Long Island Sound.

"I think he knows." Percy's voice was barely audible. "And, no matter what you said, he protected you because he cared." He looked at her, watching the soft wind tousle the hair hanging around her face. "He still does."

Ali finally looked at him, tears staining her cheeks, but she didn't care anymore. "I take it you didn't get picked to go on the quest." Her voice was hoarse from the cold and the tears.

"No." He shook his head. "But I still have to go."

She nodded. "I want to come with you. I haven't had a real quest in a while."

"Are you sure?" He locked eyes with her. "Only five are supposed to go, and two of them are going to die."

"Yes." She held. "I don't need to be a part of the prophecy. I don't care what the gods or the Oracle think should happen." Her voice broke. "Friends help each other."

"Yeah." Percy wrapped an arm around her, which was a little awkward since she was taller than him, and looked out across the water. "They do."