Chapter 7

Fallen Leaves woke up, his paws kneading the air. He rolled from his nest, his thoughts buzzing. As each day passes, I feel more and more strange.

"Hi, Fallen Leaves!" Hollyleaf greeted. Her green eyes sparkled. "Cherrypaw is doing much better it seems," she informed.

"Ah, that's good," Fallen Leaves sighed. 

"Did you dream about anything weird last night?" Hollyleaf asked.

"No.." The orange-and-white tom answered.

"By the way, I taught Cherrypaw how to catch fish," the black she-cat added, lifting her tail. She turned. "Come and see!"

Fallen Leaves bounded after her, his paws skidding on the rocky floor. He walked towards the river, looking at the rushing water. 

"Hi Fallen Leaves!" Cherrypaw greeted. She twitched her whiskers, purring. "Look what I can do!" She crouched by the water, her eyes staring intently at the water. She flung her paw in and pulled out a wriggling fish.

"Amazing," Fallen Leaves purred. He sat down, his tail curling around his paws. He watched as Cherrypaw ate her fish. "Hey, Cherrypaw. I need to ask you something."

"Huh? What is it?" The apprentice asked, eating the fish. 

"Are you going back to ThunderClan? I know you told them-"

"I don't wanna go home. I wanna stay here, with you and Hollyleaf," Cherrypaw whimpered. "And besides, I already told my Clan that I became a kittypet."

"But don't you miss your family?" Fallen Leaves asked.

"I do. But I have to stop thinking about them. I just want to stay here," Cherrypaw mumbled.

"Sorry, I won't bother you about it anymore," Fallen Leaves said quickly. "Want to help me find some food?" He asked.

"You eat food? Aren't you a spirit?" Cherrypaw asked, her whiskers twitching. 

"Not for me. But for Hollyleaf," The tom said, feeling a smile form on his face. He thought about the black she-cat and how her green eyes sparkled when she saw him. Does she love me, like I love her? I'm just a spirit. It won't work. But then he remembered Rock's words. 

"Oh how sweet! You two are amazing," Cherrypaw purred, lifting her tail. "You know what would be cool? If we became a new Clan! That would awesome," the she-cat jumped up and down, happiness swarming through her. 

Fallen Leaves' heart sank. A Clan? But what would everyone else think? He blinked. "How would that work? The other Clans wouldn't like that very much."

"Firestar would support it! He's very nice," Cherrypaw insisted. "Oh, Fallen Leaves, help me think of a name! Hmm, CaveClan? HollyClan? TunnelClan?"

"Alright, calm down," Fallen Leaves ushered. "We can think about it later. Right now, I want to hunt." He leaped over the thin river, his body feeling as light as a feather. He glanced back at Cherrypaw. "Want to hunt with me?" He questioned. 

"Oh," Cherrypaw suddenly gasped. "Hollyleaf said she'd train me," Cherrypaw said. She shuffled her paws awkwardly. "Since I... don't have a mentor, I figured she'd train me." 

"Oh, right," Fallen Leaves mumbled. "Well that's great to hear, Cherrypaw. Do you think Hollyleaf will make you a sharpclaw?" He asked, then bristled. "I mean- a warrior? Sorry for the mistake."

"It's alright! Hollyleaf told me about how you had softpaws and sharpclaws in your time," Cherrypaw gasped. "But if I'm being honest, sharpclaws sound way cooler than warriors! Do you think I can be appointed a sharpclaw?"

"W-well, warriors and sharpclaws are the same thing, I guess. Just a different name," Fallen Leaves stammered. Does this mean she really wants us to become a Clan? But how can we when we're just... a spirit, a warrior, and an apprentice?

"Well, bye Fallen Leaves," Cherrypaw meowed. She turned away and sprinted farther down the cave, her paw-steps quiet. 

Fallen Leaves turned and headed into the dark. He found a small mouse and caught it, then headed down the tunnel farther where a breeze crept through. Cold wind ruffled his fur. One of the exits. He couldn't see sunlight beaming in, so he crept out through the hole. Leaves blotted out most of the sky, but he could see the bright milky white of the moon shining through. 

Fallen Leaves turned around and headed back down the tunnel. The soft sound of the river running filled his ears and he could hear voices. Hollyleaf was on the other side of the river with Cherrypaw. She was teaching the apprentice some fighting moves. 

"Hi," Fallen Leaves muttered gently. 

Hollyleaf looked up at the sound of his voice, and her eyes brightened when she saw him. It made his heart flutter. "I brought you this, I thought you might be hungry," he said. He tossed his mouse at her paws.

"How sweet, Fallen Leaves. Thank you for the mouse," Hollyleaf meowed, purring. She put her paw on her forehead and closed her eyes. "After all, I am the queen around here!" She then began giggling.

Fallen Leaves looked down at his paws, feeling his pelt burn. He could hear her purring loudly, then realized that he was also purring. "I'll be right back."

"Huh? Where are you going?" Hollyleaf asked, looking at him with confusion. "You're not going to catch something else for me, are you?" She asked.

"No. I just need some fresh air," Fallen Leaves meowed, glancing behind him and staring longingly into the darkness. 

"Oh.. alright," Hollyleaf mewed. She turned to Cherrypaw. "Now, where were we?" 

Fallen Leaves turned away, feeling as though his own paws were dragging him toward the exit of the tunnels. I have to talk to StarClan.

I've been thinking about renaming this book to Hollyleaf's Power, so if you do see a change, don't be confused.