Chapter 8

The moon was full and casted its milky light down on the land. It reflected on the lake's surface, almost as if the lake had picked the moon from the sky and held it in its cold confines. Fallen Leaves' paws prickled with anticipation. He felt light, like a leaf being carried by a gentle breeze on leaf-fall, and the wind was acting as a guide to his destination. Though he was far from the tunnels, he could smell Hollyleaf's warm scent, as if it was stuck on his fur. Hollyleaf....

Fallen Leaves' paw suddenly seemed to sink into something. He lifted his paw and saw a paw print in the ground. The steps. He hadn't realized he was already at the Moonpool, he thought it would've taken longer. Oh well, I guess when you're a spirit.... His paws matched with the countless number of paw prints as he made his way to the pool. He stared down at it, feeling a bit uneasy. He crouched and placed his nose to the surface, almost jerking back at the sudden coldness striking through his body. He closed his eyes.

Fallen Leaves opened his eyes, expecting to see a star-lit space around him, but he was still by the Moonpool. Confused, he sat up. It didn't work? But... "StarClan?" He called out. Maybe I'm supposed to contact them some other way. He crouched down again and lapped the water, then closed his eyes. He opened them again, but nothing happened. 

Fallen Leaves backed away, feeling uneasy. Then something caught his eye. He whirled around and saw the translucent figure of a cat; pale, wrinkly skin and a few raggedy lumps of dust-gray fur. 

"...Rock?" Fallen Leaves questioned. "Why are you here?" He leaned forward, examining the old tom's face. 

Rock looked at him with blind, bulging eyes. "Fallen Leaves..." He mumbled.

"Why can't I visit StarClan? I must speak with them," Fallen Leaves meowed, turning back towards the Moonpool.

Rock padded up beside him and sat down, looking down at the pool. "Because you're not a medicine cat," he said calmly. 

"Huh, why does that matter? I'm a spirit!" Fallen Leaves pointed out, his tail-tip twitching. 

"I'm afraid you're becoming less of a spirit," Rock said firmly. 

"Huh?" Fallen Leaves asked. "What do you mean 'less of a spirit'? I'm still a spirit," Fallen Leaves growled slightly. "A wondering, lonely spirit," he mumbled, lowering his head.

"You aren't alone," Rock said. Was the ancient tom hiding something from him? "There's a reason you're becoming like this. There's a prophecy."

"What prophecy? How come I've never heard of it?" Fallen Leaves questioned, narrowing his eyes.

"I can't tell you," Rock meowed. "All I can say is that the light will push back the darkness. You.. are very important," he said, his voice low. And with that, he was gone.

Fallen Leaves leaped at the spot where Rock had been. "Come back! What's happening to me? Say something!" He shouted, flummoxed.

Fallen Leaves padded into the tunnels, realization dawning on him like snow blanketing his fur. Am I becoming something other than a spirit? But why and how? Am I going to be alive again? But I'm dead! I've been dead for a long time. He spotted Hollyleaf hurrying towards him.

"Where were you? I was worried sick!" Hollyleaf gasped. She buried her muzzle into his neck. Fallen Leaves breathed in her scent, feeling calm.

"I told you, I went for a walk," Fallen Leaves responded. He watched as she narrowed her green eyes. 

"And a walk took you that long?" Hollyleaf prompted. Her eyes softened. "If something is going on, please tell me."

Fallen Leaves sighed. "I wanted to speak with StarClan," he answered. "But I couldn't."

Hollyleaf grew concerned. "That's weird. Surely.." she trailed off. She turned away, gazing at Cherrypaw, who was standing at Molepaw's grave. "I had a horrifying dream while you were gone. Luckily Cherrypaw was there to soothe me," she meowed.

Fallen Leaves touched his tail to hers. "What was it about?" He asked, curiosity pricking at his paws.

"I... was dead," Hollyleaf meowed. "I was a spirit, watching over a group of cats. I don't know who they were, but it scared me. They had this powerful aura... it was unnatural," Hollyleaf muttered. "You were there too, but something seemed different about you."

Fallen Leaves felt chills run through his fur. Could she somehow be seeing the future? Is this the power that Rock told me about? No, it can't be. Fallen Leaves pressed himself closer to her. "It's nothing to worry about. You were probably just having a nightmare because you were worried about me."

Hollyleaf purred lightly. "You're right, I shouldn't worry," she mewed. "We should try to get some sleep. I wanted to train Cherrypaw some more tomorrow."

"Sounds good," Fallen Leaves purred, settling into a moss nest with the black she-cat.

"You should come with us too. Get some fresh air," Hollyleaf meowed. "Maybe you can hunt for some herbs?" 

"I guess I could sharpen my skills a bit," Fallen Leaves meowed, yawning. He closed his eyes, snuggling deeper into Hollyleaf's fur. "Goodnight."