Chapter 3

--Hollyleaf's POV--

Hollyleaf wondered through the tunnel, Fallen Leaves behind her. She was finally going out once more into the fresh sunshine. Light was at the end of the tunnel. But something seemed wrong. Hollyleaf felt as though something bad was about to happen. But what?

Finally, Hollyleaf set paw onto soft grass. She took in a deep breath, smelling the strong scent of ThunderClan. She could also smell fox. 

Fallen Leaves came from the tunnel behind her, stepping into the forest. He looked around, his figure transparent against the trees. 

Hollyleaf looked around, feeling like an apprentice on her first tour of the territory. Every scent was familiar to her. "This feels so great," she meowed. It makes me realize how much I miss ThunderClan.

Fallen Leaves's eyes flashed with grief. "You won't leave me, will you?" He asked.

"Of course I won't leave you!" Hollyleaf gasped. She turned around, pressing her muzzle to the tom's cheek. "I-I...."

Fallen Leaves flashed her a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry.. if I might of upset you."

"No, it's not that," Hollyleaf murmured. "I'm angry. I wish things could be different. I wish you were alive. I wish you were in ThunderClan, with me. Then things would be so much easier," she sighed.

Fallen Leaves gazed at her, sadness shining in his eyes. But before he could reply, a screech echoed through the forest.

Hollyleaf looked up, her ears pricking forward. "What was that?"

"I don't know," Fallen Leaves meowed, his tail bushing up.

Hollyleaf looked at her mate. "Stay here," she ordered. She rushed forward, tearing through the undergrowth. Her tail streamed behind her as she ran through the tall grass, the trees becoming a blurr around her.

"Cherrypaw! Run and get help!" A young tom mewled.

"I can't leave you!" A young she-cat responded.

Hollyleaf burst through the undergrowth, seeing two young cats. They smelled of ThunderClan and looked like apprentices. They were up in a tree. A fox was at the base, clawing at the bark and snarling at the cats.

On the branch, a ginger she-cat was leaning over a brown-and-cream tom. The she-cat was whimpering, her amber eyes filled with grief and fear.

"Cherrypaw, please get help," the apprentice mewed weakly. Blood stained his cream chest fur.

Hollyleaf bristled. She rushed forward, leaping onto the fox's back. She sunk her teeth into its shoulder, feeling flesh. 

The fox snarled, turning on her. It snapped its jaws but Hollyleaf leaped clear.

Hollyleaf lashed out with a paw, slicing the fox's nose. Blood splashed onto the grass. The fox yelped with rage.

Suddenly, white flashed through the air. 

Hollyleaf gasped. Fallen Leaves! I told him to stay behind! The fox snapped at her ear, biting at the tip. She yowled with pain as she felt the fox tear it off. Blood trickled down her ear and down her face. Hissing, she lashed out, slashing the fox's muzzle.

Fallen Leaves slashed at the fox's ears, hissing at the scrawny creature. He sunk his claws into its head.

Hollyleaf darted under the fox, slashing its chest. She held on, clinging to its fur and pummeling its belly. She could feel her hindclaws pulling out clumps and fur, and then could feel them slashing at flesh. 

The fox howled with pain and then scrambled away, rushing into the bushes. 

Hollyleaf rushed towards Fallen Leaves, her heart pounding. "I thought I told you to stay!" She meowed, her voice cracking. He could've been injured!

"I'm sorry, but I had to come. I didn't want you to get hurt!" Fallen Leaves mewed, his eyes shimmering with grief. He looked at her ear. "And see, you are hurt."

Before Hollyleaf could respond, the she-cat apprentice, Cherrypaw, jumped from the tree. The scruff of the brown and cream tom was in her jaws. 

"P-please, help my brother," Cherrypaw meowed. She had a wound on her shoulder that trickled blood.

Fallen Leaves looked at Hollyleaf, then back at the apprentice. "C-can you see me?" He asked, his voice shaky.

"I... I can," Cherrypaw mewed. "But you're see-through. I-I don't care though, real or not, help us!" Cherrypaw pleaded.

"Follow us," Hollyleaf meowed, flicking her tail.