Chapter 1: Adora

Tw: Mentions of eating disorder, domestic abuse strong language, slut-shaming, and bullying.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

"Ugh."

I wake up dreading yet another day in my life. I throw the covers off of my lap and stand up; stretching. I ignore the intense wave of dizziness that washes over me. I'm a teenage girl with a ton of stress, it's probably normal.

I do my usual morning routine. But this time, I want to dress...differently. Instead, of the modest clothing that my dad forces me to wear, I want to wear something that makes me feel like me. Maybe, just this once...he won't notice.

I decide to go with a long-sleeved white shirt, which is slightly cropped along with black leggings. And to top it all off, my favorite pair of shoes; high-top checkered vans.

I tie my hair up into my signature ponytail and take one last glance in the mirror.

I grab my backpack along with my beloved vermilion sketchbook. My mind fills with thoughts of what to draw next. Art is one of the only ways to really express myself. If only they all knew how flawed "Little Miss Perfect" really is.

But they never will.

I take a deep breath and walk downstairs; silently praying that my father won't pay any mind to my outfit.

"Morning Father." I avoid his obvious stare; pretending to be very focused the oak wood floors.

"Adora, show me what you are wearing." All of the blood drains from my face.

Shit.

I gulp and slowly turn around; facing my father. Rage fills his dark brown eyes; I brace myself preparing for a lecture. But instead of words he grabs my face; his grip fierce and unmerciful.

"What did I say about wearing clothes like this, Adora?! I did not raise a whore of a daughter!" Despite being absolutely terrified, I keep my face neutral.

He chuckles bitterly. 

"Besides, this shirt makes you look fat." He hisses; venom laced with his words. Tears prick my eyes; threatening to spill over. He releases his grip on me and I rush upstairs to change.

I close the door to my room and force down the painful lump in my throat. I will not cry at something so...stupid. Something so true.

I take a deep breath and grab a short-sleeved shirt with a simple Coca-Cola logo on the front.

"I'm not fat." I mumble; trying my best to believe it. The mirror says otherwise.

"Oh, who am I kidding...of course I am."

After I get approval from father, I leave my "perfect" house.

Oh how I hate that word.

I pull up to the massive brick building.

"Here we go again." I mumble; straightening my posture and walking into school.

I put on my best smile and greet classmates and students. I know mostly everybody in the school. But...popularity is a joke. It doesn't matter how many names I've memorized. Or how many people wave at me as I pass by. I'm an outcast. Everybody has their own friend group; composed of people who share the same interests and passions. But me? Well, I'm lucky that I even have friends.

It's certainly not easy to fit in. Of course, nobody knows this. My act is too good. Just the way that it needs to be.

I spot Glimmer and Bow in the cafeteria. Joy overrides me at the sight of them. Bow and Glimmer, the only real friends I have in this dump.