1. Hello Stranger

I usually don't write back stories this long, but I really want the readers to see who Lacy really is.

Lacy Miller had loved writing, ever since she was a little girl. She had loved many things for that matter. Lacy's father was off with military work, she would receive calls from him every once and a while, but she could hardly remember what he even looked like. Her family used to travel a lot with him, but when her Grandmother died, they moved into their family home in New York to help her Grandfather. Her father died a few years after that.

Her mom loved the idea of her being a good and proper lady, but Lacy had other plans. While her mom was teaching her how to clean, cook, and how to be a perfect wife. At night her she would stay up late reading and playing chess with her grandfather. He was a great man. Lacy did not see why he needed anyone else's help, why he seemed perfectly fine on his own. Lacy just thought them moving was so her mom could give her "lady lessons", and to make sure grandpa didn't feel as alone as her mother did with her father gone.

Lacy's grandfather had taught her everything. He helped her get ahead with school work, she was reading and writing 3 levels ahead of where she should have been, and her math skills were almost the same. She was fantastic at chess, picking it up so fast. Her grandfather loved the game and so did she. She loved doing anything with her grandfather. He was her hero.

Lacy's mom did not see how smart and kind her daughter was. She just wanted a picture perfect daughter. Lacy thought her mom would have been better with a dog so she could train it to her standards, but her mother always told her how much she always wanted a daughter, to teach everything she knew too.

Always stashed away somewhere in the huge house, Lacy would read and learn more than her school could ever teach her. Her mother could never find her there, but her grandfather always seemed to be able too. She was always a quick learner, and her grandfather said she was just like her Grandma. Lacy would love to hear his stories about their epic love. Though as the years went on Lacy figured she would never find anything like that.

At school she was just a freak, years ahead of everyone, skipping grades, she would even get special classes for herself. She always felt attached to the library, surrounded by stories and almost anything she was interested in. She worked hard to push herself to be better. Lacy worked so hard she managed to get herself a full scholarship at the age of 16, just about to turn 17. Though her mother did not approve of a women working, but she saw how hard her daughter was working and decided her happiness was more important.

By the time she had majored in English and gotten her diploma she was turning 21. From there she got a 2 year internship for Sports Illustrated. She got to write and report about small topics, until they saw her full potential and gave her her own topic. She picked Chess.

She knew the rules inside and out, her grandfather made sure of that. She skyrocketed as a chess reporter. Everyone who was anyone in the chess game wanted a chance to give an interview to the lovely Lucy Miller. Sometimes other News Papers would want to do an interview on her. Her fame in writing kicked off.

--------
1963

Lacy sat at her desk, researching a young uprising. She was a extraordinary player who had gone into the Kentucky State Championship tournament with no rank, and won the whole thing. Lacy looked at all the coverage on the story and new she had to meet this girl. She wrote and letter to her boss asking for transportation and a room at the next tournament in Cincinnati. She was automatically given a plane ticket and a reservation to The Gibson Hotel.

--------

Lacy had slept on the plane ride, even though is was less than two hours. She wished to be sharp when she arrived at the hotel. When she got off the plane and received her luggage, there was a car waiting in front of the airport for her. She loved how everything was right on time. Showing up to the hotel, people stood outside gawking at her as she took her luggage inside.