Distracted

A week passed by and, although it hadn't been said or agreed upon, Oowada and Ishimaru became study buddies. Oowada didn't forget about his plan, but it just happened naturally. For the first time, the biker was finally aware of what was going on in class, and received a 95/100 mark in an assessment- his highest grade to date. He was shocked, he didn't know he had it in him.

"I'm so proud," Ishimaru had told him when he saw the grade, starting to cry. That was kind of embarrassing, so Oowada went to talk to Kuwata instead and let Ishimaru take in the moment alone.

Things were finally getting somewhere in Oowada's plan. They were going to hang out... in a way. Ishimaru agreed to use his house as a place to get extra study time together over the weekend. It's not like he minded, it was his first friendship to be like this, and it was just over studying, so it was productive.

Oowada was not excited, but he knew it was a necessary step in his plan. He wasn't dreading it, he was actually nervous. As the week moved on and the weekend got closer, he thought about backing out.

"Hey man, you look rough," Kuwata said with an unknowingly judgy tone, "what's wrong? Ishimaru too intense for your plan?" Oowada shook his head and groaned.

"No, I was just thinkin' 'bout how insanely stupid you must be," was his reply, smirking at his own joke. Kuwata didn't react, and because this was after all of their classes, he simply left. Oowada couldn't though. Ever since he started joining Ishimaru to study, he also joined the daily check up with the teacher after class.

The teacher was used to it by now, but Oowada's first time approaching his desk frightened him just a little. Ishimaru explained the situation to him and he was pleasantly surprised. He gave the two a warm smile, happy to see Oowada again.

"I've prepared something for the both of you," the teacher said, holding up a finger to signal for them to wait as he got something from one of his desk drawers, "I think it'll be especially helpful with our upcoming unit for more advanced algebra. It starts next Monday, but I think it's probably a good idea to get a good head-start. It's hard to understand." Oowada resisted the urge to groan as more unnecessary work was added to his suck-up-to-Ishi list.

"Thank you so much," Ishimaru responded, his eyes sparkling as he took the thick work book from the teacher. He gave Oowada a look and the taller one saw just how excited he was, not getting anywhere close to understanding why he would be so excited for school work. The teacher chuckled.

"I'm very glad to see you two getting along. I think Ishimaru is a great influence on you," he said to the two, directing Ishimaru's gaze back on him. Oowada didn't smile, but he did give a soft expression back. He used to be offended by sentiments like that, but he realized that it didn't matter for him in the long run. He caught himself forgetting what his plan was for in the first place.

After a small and subtly awkward conversation with their teacher, they left the classroom with Ishimaru clutching the thick workbook to his chest. They were going towards the library of course - their last study session in the library before the weekend. There was a moment of comforting silence and Oowada turned to notice Ishimaru's eyes still had the sparkle from before.

"So, what're you so excited for?" Oowada asked, abruptly breaking the silence. Ishimaru's head snapped to face him, the sparkle going away and a frown forming on his face, causing Oowada to start frantically explain himself. "Uh, well, it's like... who would get all giddy for some school work?"

"Well, school work is our responsibility," Ishimaru began, now facing forward, "however, since you've joined me, I've been excited to do work with you." Oowada was caught of guard by the sudden confession.