Part 18

The early morning sky was the colour of slate as I drove away from the Plaza Hotel the next day, thick rainclouds plump with the promise of rain

The early morning sky was the colour of slate as I drove away from the Plaza Hotel the next day, thick rainclouds plump with the promise of rain. I blinked long and hard, eyes feeling scratchy from lack of sleep, taking a large swig from my bitter black coffee whilst I waited at the traffic lights in the hopes that it might inject some energy into me.

I'd tried to sleep once Van had left me, but it was hopeless. I felt like my life wasn't my own anymore and I was just a bystander. Watching on helplessly whilst I recklessly made bad decision after bad decision, careering faster and faster towards a future so uncertain that it terrified me.

I diverted to my apartment before work, taking a long shower with the water so hot it practically scolded my skin, the ridiculous notion coming to me that it might somehow wash away my sins. But no, the same shameful face stared back at me in the mirror afterwards. I turned my head to the side, shocked to notice the reddy-purplish blooms of bruising that Van's lips had left on my neck, branding me.

I screwed my eyes shut, reliving the sensations, the recollection of my sordid liaison just leaving me aching for more. I quickly got dressed, turning the collar of my shirt up to hide the evidence of my indiscretions, willing my head to clear as I made my way into the office.

 I quickly got dressed, turning the collar of my shirt up to hide the evidence of my indiscretions, willing my head to clear as I made my way into the office

Paul had called just a small meeting that morning, only the select few agents with prior knowledge of the workings of the undercover team in attendance. I took the seat next to Jen, head down to avoid Jason's glare which I could feel cutting into me from across the room. I tugged self-consciously on the collar of my shirt, pulling it up around my neck even more.

Paul's expression was grim as he addressed the room. He clutched some papers that he started to pass around as he spoke.

"It's with great sadness that I have to tell you that one of our own was killed the night before last. Scott Parker from the London team. Some of you may have worked with him before..."

Paul carried on talking but his words suddenly became faint and indistinct as my head started to spin. Of course I knew Scott, I'd worked with him on an assignment at the beginning of the year. I'd spent two weeks in London gathering information on the head of a drug cartel and Scott hadn't just shared the assignment work with me. He'd also shared my hotel room bed as well on several occasions. Memories came flooding back to me as I stared wide-eyed at the image on the piece of paper.