Part 3

My head whipped around to frantically scan the hotel room which appeared to be empty, then my eyes went to the windows

My head whipped around to frantically scan the hotel room which appeared to be empty, then my eyes went to the windows. I was fifteen storeys up so it wasn't like anyone could just peer inside. I drew my legs up to my chest and hugged them to me with my free hand.

"Where are you?" I said, a chill snaking up my spine despite the warmth of the water.

Van laughed, a low, gravelly sound. "Don't cover yourself up. I was enjoying the view."

I looked out on to the cityscape, noting several nearby tall buildings. Of course in my line of work I knew all too well the range of surveillance equipment, I used it myself regularly. The thought of Van watching me whilst I'd been thinking of him and pleasuring myself both unsettled and aroused me.

Many thoughts rushed through my head. There were so many things I wanted to ask him. How did he know my name? How did he get my number? Why the hell was he calling me? But one question pushed itself to the forefront and I had to ask.

"Why didn't you kill me... today? You had your chance."

He was quiet for a moment, then I heard him emit a sigh. "Oh Lyla... where do I start?"

"Go on..." I waited with bated breath, willing him to carry on, but he didn't. He wanted something from me.

"What were you thinking about... just then... before I phoned? Or rather who were you thinking about?"

I felt the flush rise in me, wondering how clearly Van could see me. Could he see my guilty expression? He'd obviously seen what I was up to.

"It's none of your business!" I snapped.

Another laugh erupted from him, and when he fell silent I spoke again. "Look... why are you calling me?"

"I've been watching you for quite some time now," he said, and the way he spoke both chilled and excited me. "Whilst you've been searching for me, l've been right there, watching. It's amazing how much you get to know about a person just by observing them."

My mind was whirring frantically now. How could this be? I was so damn meticulous in everything that I did... or so I thought. When I was searching for him he always appeared to be one step ahead, but maybe that was my mistake. He'd been behind me all the time. My unease amplified as I wondered exactly what he'd been privy to whilst he'd been 'observing' me.

As if reading my mind, Van's next words set me even further on edge. "You've been a bad girl Lyla... real fucking bad."

I considered ending the call but there was something in Van's voice that compelled me to listen. Something that made me squeeze my thighs together under the water. I stayed silent, the phone pressed to my ear, waiting for him to go on.

"I've seen you. All those guys you've been fucking. The kinda shit you like."

Hot shame flooded me. How much had he seen?