Part 8

The apartment was in darkness apart from the short corridor where I was currently stood, considering my next move

The apartment was in darkness apart from the short corridor where I was currently stood, considering my next move. I turned my head, looking at the door I'd just walked through, wondering if I'd make it if I ran. The double-locked door with the added security of a safety chain seemed to taunt me. Installed to specifically keep people out, now it could well be my undoing for the opposite reason.

I needed a weapon. I scrolled through the options in my head. My handgun in the bedside cabinet... the knife block in the kitchen... the hammer and various other tools in my spare bedroom...

Like having a weapon has helped you the last two times! My mind seemed to jeer at me. And in any case, I didn't even know where he was lurking.

I was scared. And not just scared. Fucking petrified. My legs started to tremble as I stood in terrifying indecisiveness about my next move.

Fucking stay calm Lyla! You're gonna get through this. But you've got to get out NOW!

I suddenly knew that I couldn't stay and fight. Van was right, I was no match for him. I didn't stand a chance. I started to slowly back up, moving in the direction of the front door, my eyes darting to every doorway. Still nothing. Maybe I was imagining things. Maybe he wasn't really stalking me. Maybe he was just playing mind games by texting me, trying to scare me... I felt my back bump up against the door so I swiftly turned around to release the chain and the locks.

Then I heard it. Heavy footsteps behind me. I didn't turn straight away, as if not seeing would somehow make him no more than a figment of my imagination, but when he spoke I could no longer fool myself.

"Going somewhere Lyla?"

I froze again, hands shaking against the cool metal of the lock. I'd been so close, but now escape seemed like a distant concept. My fate was sealed. I took a deep breath, screwed my eyes shut, tried to muster up some kind of courage before I turned to face him.

He stood there at the end of the corridor, leaning back against the far wall with a casual stance, watching me. A small smile played on his lips, but his eyes were cold. Dead. Emotionless. I shivered.

"Why are you here?" I said, my voice wavering. It wasn't like Amsterdam where I'd been pursuing him. This time he'd come to me.

His smile widened as he pushed himself off the wall, taking a step closer. "I need something from you..."

He let his eyes trail over every inch of me, brazenly so, as if to say I was his to do with as he pleased. The thought shivered me through with fear but at the same time a spark of twisted desire, but I couldn't let those dangerous thoughts cloud my judgement. Not this time. I needed a clear head. He spoke again as he took another step.

"You know, I'm glad you didn't bring your boyfriend back. I'd have hated to get blood all over my new shirt."

He laughed at his own sick joke, pulling his long grey overcoat open to reveal the crisp white shirt he wore underneath. Then I watched as he reached into the inside pocket of his coat, pulling out a handgun.