day 3

There are at least two of everything in this world. Someone in the world has the exact same dark blue mug as I do, in someone's garden grows a pear tree that looks exactly like the one I have in my backyard. 

 There is someone who looks exactly like me without knowing there is another them. Maybe it's you, maybe we have the same nose, long and pointy from some angles and beautiful from others. Maybe we have the same fears, the same hopes, the same stars we always make a wish to. Maybe you too, look in the reflective surface of the lies you cover yourself with, and see someone you don't like. I most surely do. 

 But there are days when I'm polished just a tiny bit better, life feels sweeter and the sour taste I get in my mouth after looking at myself doesn't linger there for too long, as it usually does. Those days, I shine a little brighter, laugh a little more and like to allow myself a bite of the sweet pear I picked from my backyard. I bite into it, hard, and feel the juice running down my hand, leaving sticky traces of childish happiness and wonder on the skin I took revenge on too many times. Those days are beautiful, full of the person I once was. I soak those sticky marks into my skin as well as I can, not wanting to go back to feeling miserable just yet. 

 What would grandma do if she knew her darling pear tree is so sad and neglected? What would she do if she knew the roots were slowly strangling it, climbing up and down the bark and destroying it day by day from the inside? It only ever grew pears on Tuesdays with odd numbers, but now it can barely grow two each fall. 

 What would grandma do if she only knew her granddaughter sat every day in front of that tree, looking at it, her fingers getting burned raw from the dark blue mug, and thinking about how she'd like to be next.

.

.

.

author's note : the original title for this chapter should have been "am I a pear tree ? " but I couldn't keep myself from laughing at the visuals, so I decided not to title it that way because it would throw off the whole point of the book. But there's a fun little fact for ya :))also, a very warm, cuddly thank you to everyone who commented and voted, i appreciate you all so much.    -d