Chapter 8 - We've Got Each Other's Backs

It had been a very exhausting couple of days for Katya until Trixie was discharged from the hospital. She would sleep there, wake up early, go home, take a shower and go to work, only to leave work, go home, take a shower and go back to the hospital. On the last day, Katya left her shift earlier, to pick Trixie up from the hospital. When she arrived, she was caught by surprise by the presence of Felix, one of Trixie's managers.

''Can I ask what are you doing here?'' he asked, arrogantly.
''I'm here to take Trixie home.''
''We already got this, her driver and I will take her home.''
''I'm taking her to my place.'' Katya said firmly. ''At her request.''
''No, you're not doing that.''
''Except we are.'' Katya said, whispering angrily next to his face. ''She is injured and she needs someone to take care of her, which is something I know none of you motherfuckers will bother to do, so I'm gonna take her to my place and you are gonna leave her the fuck alone!''

Felix stared coldly at her for a while.

''She doesn't leave the house until she's well enough to it alone, and you will never talk to press. Understood?''
''Yes. Now if you excuse me...'' Katya said, walking towards the elevator.

''Hey! Are you ready to go?'' Katya said, entering Trixie's room.
''Yeah! I just have to sign a couple of papers at the reception and then we're all set. Are you driving?''
''From now on, I'm always the one who's driving, you cannot be in the proximity of a steering wheel''
''Says who?''
''Me. The doctors. The police. The entire city of New York. Everyone is begging, please Trixie, stop driving!'' Katya mocked her.
''You're an asshole!'' Trixie laughed.
''And you are a terrible driver. Come on, let's get out of this place.'' Katya wrapped her arm around Trixie's.

Trixie was still limping a little from the pain on her leg, but it was nothing she couldn't bear. She signed herself out and left the hospital, and as soon as the door to the parking lot opened, there was a small crowd of reporters and paparazzi. Luckily, Felix had called Trixie's security guards to escort them to the car. Katya was overwhelmed, but not in a positive way. As soon as they entered the car, one of the security guards tapped on Katya's window for her to open it.

''I'm Trixie's security, Michael. We will be standing by your building for as long as she's staying with you, to avoid unwanted visitors and press. We will take turns, so there will be 24h security, okay? We will follow your car as soon as you leave.''
''Got it. Thanks!'' Katya said.
''Thank you, Michael!''
''How do you do it?'' Katya asked Trixie while she closed the window and started the car.
''What?''
''All of this. It's...a lot.''
''I honestly don't know. I hate it. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my job, but...this is just too much for me. Sometimes I wish I could just move to Colorado or something, live in the mountains, isolated from the world.''
''Colorado, really?''
''It's beautiful there, come on!''
''Don't you like New York?''
''It's beautiful, but...It's too much...You see, I'm from Wisconsin, so, I just prefer the peaceful and quiet places.''
''Why'd you leave, then?''
''I went to college in LA, for musical theatre, I thought I'd have better opportunities there. Also, Wisconsin is too conservative. I didn't wanna be in the closet for the rest of my life. Yet, here I am. Working, famous, and still in the closet.''
''I don't know how this thing with your managers works, but have you ever thought about just rebelling? Like, coming out to the media and not give them any warning?''
''I thought about it. I guess I'm just too much of a coward.''
''You're not a coward, Trixie.''
''Well, that night at the Empire State you said...''
''I was mad, I didn't mean it. I'm sorry. You are truly one of the bravest people I've ever met, I'm not joking.'' Katya looked at Trixie when they stopped at a red light.
''You think so?''
''Yes! And who knows, maybe in a couple of months you'll be living in the mountains of Colorado...''
''Would you go with me? Sorry, that was, stupid.''
''Trix...''
''Sorry, just...look, green light.''

They continued their trip in silence. Trixie was looking at all of the tabloids talking about her accident on her phone, while Katya turned on the radio to fill up the void. When they parked near Katya's building, Katya looked at Trixie and took her hand.

''I'd probably go to hell with you, if you asked me to.''

Trixie smiled, feeling her heart beat faster than it had ever beaten before. She unbuckled her seatbelt and leaned over carefully to give Katya a tender kiss.

''What if someone sees us...'' Katya said on Trixie's lips.
''I don't care.''
''Let's go upstairs so we can have more privacy, okay?''
''Okay.''

Katya took Trixie's bags and helped her up the stairs. Once they've had arrived at her floor, she put the bags on the ground to open the door.

''I wish I could help you...'' Trixie moaned.
''Sweetie, you just got out of the hospital. It's okay!'' Katya smiled, taking the bags and entering the apartment.

Trixie sat carefully on the couch, making funny faces while she did, due to the pain.

''Do you want anything? We can order pizza!'' Katya said, sitting by Trixie's side on the couch.
''Oh, pizza! I've missed pizza so much...''
''Pizza it is!'' Katya ordered the pizza on her phone, on a delivery app. ''I'm gonna take a quick shower, I'll be back before the pizza arrives. Just in case, I'll leave the money on the counter at the kitchen, okay?''
''Okay, babe.''

Babe. That word coming out of Trixie's lips, directed towards Katya gave her chills. It was a dream come true. Katya took a quick hot shower and the put on her long sleeved burgundy t-shirt and her favorite black sweat pants. When she came back to the living room, Trixie had an upset look on her face.

''Hey, are you okay?'' Katya said, sitting back on the couch.
''Why didn't you tell you were getting evicted?'' Trixie's sad eyes met Katya's shocked ones.
''W...what?''
''Your mail was open at the coffee table, I just saw the word 'eviction', and then I read it...you're not paying rent. Because you quit your other job. Because of me.''
''Trixie, listen, I'm not getting evicted. It's just a warning...''
''Katya, I read it! This isn't right. I can't let you do this for me.''
''I can't go back there.''
''Of course you can. I don't know where our relationship's at, but I'm not crazy enough to tell you to not work because of me. I don't wanna be the one that ruined your life.''
''I don't wanna go back, Trixie. I don't like it as much as I did before I fell in love with you. The last clients I've had...I wasn't having fun anymore. And I always told myself that I would quit when it stopped being fun. Trixie, I've never been in love before, so I am unsure about a lot of things right now, but one thing I am sure of is that I don't wanna be with anyone that is not you.''
''I fell the same way. One hundred percent.'' Trixie held Katya's hand. ''How much did they pay you? The clients?''
''Why do you wanna know?''
''I'll give the money to you. It's the least thing I can do.''
''Oh, no, please. I don't wanna look at you like that. Like a client. It's too weird.''
''I'm not your client. I'm your friend. Let me help you the way you've helped me.''

Katya stared at Trixie for a while, thinking about the offer.

''Just until I find a better job, okay?''
''Deal. We've got each other's backs.''
''Yeah.'' Katya said through her smile.
''I love you.''

Katya's smiled disappeared. She suddenly looked like she was about to cry.

''Are you okay, baby?'' Trixie said, holding Katya's chin.
''I thought you didn't...what changed?''
''I know it's gonna sound cliché, but...being face to face with death really puts things into perspective. I don't wanna waste a second more pretending I don't wanna jump around your neck and kiss you all over.''
''You have no idea how happy I am right now.''
The doorbell rang, indicating that the pizza had arrived. Katya picked it up and put it in the coffee table. She and Trixie talked about how Trixie should never be able to drive again and laughed about it fot hours until the pizza was totally gone. Around 1AM, Katya was playing around on her phone while Trixie took a shower.

''Thank god you have a heater, I missed wearing this.'' Trixie said, leaving the bathroom in a pastel pink silk short nightgown.
''Holy shit, you're hot.'' Katya accidentally dropped her phone on her lap.
''You like it?'' Trixie sat on the bed next to Katya.
''Oh, honey...''

Trixie leaned over and pressed her warm lips against Katya's, running her hands through her hair. Katya delicately placed a hand on Trixie's waist, and she moaned in pain.

''Fuck.'' Trixie said.
''Did I hurt you?''
''No, I forgot that I'm still in excruciating pain. I really wanted to do this, though.''
''Do you think an orgasm could rip off your stitches?'' Katya's lips touched Trixie's while she talked.
''Probably.'' Trixie laughed.
''Let's go to sleep, then. You're good enough to cuddle?''
''It's probably the only thing I can do right now.''

Katya laid down , face to face with Trixie, and pulled her closer. Trixie's face fitted perfectly on the crook of Katya's neck, as well as her arm around her waist. Their legs were delicately tangled up together under the blankets. Katya placed a delicate kiss on top of Trixie's head after she turned the lights off.

''Good night, baby.''