Going home

A few minutes later the boy came back with a nurse and two grown-ups who claimed to be my parents. Soon they explained to me that my name is Hope Mickelson, I am 15 years on and I am a sophomore at Carton high school.

The boy's name is Jonathan Wood, he is 16 and a senior in the same school as me. 

While my parents spoke to the doctors. Jonathan sat down with me and smiled, I smiled back. He looked surprised for a moment but then told me that we are best friends ever since the opening ceremony in our high school.

The doctors did more tests on me to confirm I was alright. After the tests, I had to speak to a therapist and I was diagnosed with memory loss but I had to stay in the hospital overnight just in case.

That afternoon Jonathan and I talked and laughed, we had such a good time it seemed we became best friends all over again. He told me about all of our best moments and the best times we spent together.

 The next day I was given crunches and released from the hospital. Jonathan helped me walk to the car and get inside. He sat next to me and gave me a chocolate bar                                                         "It's your favorite" he said with a smile.

*bad-dump*

What was that  I felt a warm tingling in my heart but ignored it.

As we drove further and further from the hospital Jonathan started telling me about Phillies (the town we lived in). " Your house is in the middle of the forest so we have to drive all the way across the town to get there". we took a bit of a circle so Jonathan could show me some of my favorite places and maybe trigger something if I can remember anything.

" Oh, there is the "Big Pops" it's the best restaurant in the town the burgers there are absolutely fantastic and you love their strawberry milkshakes" it was kind of weird hearing him say what I liked and what I didn't but I still couldn't remember anything" No worries we will go there tomorrow and you will remember everything"," Ok" I giggled.

"Look, look there is the Philly Castle that's your favorite place", "It's also where all the minors group up for underaged drinking parties" he whispered. 

We then drove by a sketchy-looking house or more like a mansion. It was an old building, it looked like a haunted house. The walls were had small holes that looked like windows but not really, the walls were also filled with graffiti. There was no glass in the windows and there wasn't even a door. " Hey, that the school", " That's our school?" I asked him in surprise. " Yup, that's our good old Carton High"

Soon after we reached the end of the town. The houses became fewer and the forest became thicker until there were no houses around. We suddenly slower down into what looked like an abandoned road. As we turned the corner I saw a big lake with a sandy beach. 

After some more time of driving, we stopped at a two-story cabin. It looked very peaceful and familiar. There was a swing set hanging in a big oak tree, unknowingly I knew that I liked that swing. Jonathan helped me get out of the car and we walked into the cabin. It was very warm and had a really home-like feeling, I felt like I belonged there. It was strange, I knew the place but it felt like I haven't been there for years and it held some painful memories but I just couldn't figure what it was.

Jonathan helped me up the stairs but I already automatically went into my room. Jonathan hesitated but went in with me. I looked around the room, there was a huge bookshelf full with books. My table was a mess pilled up with papers of sketches and paintings. On the wall there were even more of my drawing and a poster of "Harry Potter" ."That's your favorite movie" Jonathan said as he saw me take interest in the poster. My bed was next to the window, and I had a dozen of candles with different smells.

It was already late that day so I had to see Jonathan out. I struggled going down the stairs and opened the door for Jonathan " I will see you tomorrow, I'll show you the town" he said and walked into the woods.

I locked the door and decided to look around the house before dinner. In the living room there was a huge fireplace, which kept the house warm, an armchair and a big sofa. We had a big fluffy carpet and a coffee table next to the armchair. 

The kitchen was quite small but I could see my mother loved it. She rushed around making and baking a cake to celebrate my getting out of the hospital. I tried to help her but I couldn't do much considering my crunches. 

Finally, we sat down as a family and had dinner. We talked about a lot of things like school, our farm (which I'd get to see tomorrow), and Jonathan, but they voided one topic, the reason I was in the hospital. I tried asking but they just ignored me and changed the subject. I wanted to know but decided not to ask anymore as I thought it was a sensitive subject.

After dinner, I went up to my room and tried to find a diary or something to fill in the blanks in my mind, but failed. " Lights out" I suddenly heard my mother's voice from across the hall. " Okay," I replied. I wasn't sleepy yet so I took a Harry Potter book from the bookshelf and started to read it in the dim candlelight.